HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   1st year hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/260624-1st-year-hunting.html)

Crack3583 08-31-2008 09:35 AM

1st year hunting

This is my first year bow hunting. I been doing research and Ive learned alot but nothing is a better teacher than experience. I hunt in western NC. I have been rifle hunting for years. I was wondering if anybody had any tips or tricks.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.....

Rebel Hog 08-31-2008 10:19 AM

RE: 1st year hunting

ORIGINAL: Crack3583

This is my first year bow hunting. I been doing research and Ive learned alot but nothing is a better teacher than experience. I hunt in western NC. I have been rifle hunting for years. I was wondering if anybody had any tips or tricks.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.....
Ever hunt around Snow Cap?

GTOHunter 09-01-2008 10:24 AM

Lots of patients and use/shower with the scent-free soaps and use the scent killer sprays to hide your scent from the Deer.Pratice a lot with your bow and enjoying the scenery and wildlife around you will pass the time away!Good Luck Hunting

Crack3583 09-05-2008 09:27 AM

Not around Snow Cap......Im bout 50 miles west of Charlotte.....

Any suggestions bout scent killer?

UncleNorby 09-05-2008 09:40 AM

You'll need to set up within 40 yds or so (30 is better) of where you expect deer to be. That may/may notbe a big change from what you're use to. Establish known yardages to landmarks around your stand, so you'll know how far your shots will be. If you hunt from a tree, practice from an elevated position to see how that affects your shooting. Be careful about scent of course, including your routes to and from stands.

Bow-shot deer almost always run off, and they can go farther than you think they should. If the situation allows and assuming you didn't see the deer go down, wait at least 30 minutes before following a deer you think is hit in the heart/lung area. If you think you hit it too far back, wait 4-6 hours, again if the situation allows. The waiting can be hard to do, but believe me it's important. Many fatally hit deer are lost because guystrail them too soon, and end up pushing them onto neighboring properties they can't access.

The rest of it is really just hunting.

farmcntry 09-05-2008 11:45 AM

ORIGINAL: Crack3583

Not around Snow Cap......Im bout 50 miles west of Charlotte.....

Any suggestions bout scent killer?
What County?

Scent Killer? Take a bath in scent killer. Wash your clothes in scent killer and use scent killer spray before going in. Also wear rubber boots.

jimmy28303 09-05-2008 12:23 PM

PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!!!!!! nothing will make you feel worse then putting a bad shot on a deer. Once you are 100% comfy with your capabilities, then and only then should you draw on a live animal. If you are already a hunter you probably know how to get close to game but a bow is completely diff then a gun because there are a million things that can go wrong. Not saying that gun hunting is easy, there is just a lot more that can go wrong with a bow. Good luck and keep us posted

Crack3583 09-05-2008 04:57 PM

Cleveland County....
I have shot the bow out of my stand....I've shot it off the ground...A LOT!!!!! I feel pretty comfortable....I think Im ready to hit the woods....Bow season opens Monday....hopefully I will be able to draw something close....Thanks for all the suggestions....