HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Thermacell (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/260167-thermacell.html)

MDS184122577 08-28-2008 08:55 AM

Thermacell

What do you guys think about using these? I have bought one, but have only used it for camping, bonfires, etc. My worry is if it truly does not admit an odor? I mean to see it let off some smoke, etc. it makes me weary to use it during still hunting....

Give me the 411 on your experiences with it....

nchawkeye 08-28-2008 09:14 AM

RE: Thermacell

I've had mine for 3 years, it's strapped to my climber...Where you live, it's essential (I'm from Gates County, down in NC)...

I don't worry about the odor, just hunt down wind...

swampghost 08-28-2008 09:23 AM

My opinion is that if they will smell the thermacell, they will smell you anyway.

Crazyfarmer 08-28-2008 11:21 AM

you can smell it, but as to if the deer do I dunno. I took mine with my lil girl oneday since I didnt want her first treestand hunt to be ruined by skeeters. We had 3 doe walk within 40 yards, but i was downwind though. It kept every bug away I do know;)

The only time I will use mine is if bugs are eating me alive. Ill put up with a few bites, but when they are about to carry me to the moon I'll use the thermacell.

hycohounds 08-28-2008 12:10 PM

i don't go without it.......tony

fenrick 08-28-2008 12:27 PM

To add on to this one, Does the Thermacell Compact work just as good as the regular model? I just picked one up last week and haven't tried it out yet.

Vulture6 08-28-2008 02:44 PM

Termacell says that it protects for about a 15 foot circle (I believe) - so if you're 15 to 18 feet up a tree it ought to be pretty well dispersed by the time it gets out to where it would reach a deer at 60 feet from your tree.

BDOWebmaster 08-28-2008 03:01 PM

I sell them, and it's about the only thing I sell that will give a personal endorsement. We sell half of them to people that use them on their patios, gazebos, etc and the other half to hunters. They work!

bronko22000 08-28-2008 03:25 PM

I was a bit leery about these. But from the sounds of it, this may be a great thing to have on spring bear hunts too.

jerseyhunter 08-28-2008 05:03 PM

I wouldn't be hunting early archery if I didn't have one.

joliver 08-28-2008 05:11 PM

Never leave home without it on warm days.
The proof is in the pudding!

jkm03003 08-28-2008 05:52 PM

I have used mine several times and its amazing how well they work. After about 10min no more buzzin sounds, Justin Huntin. Many deer downwind and none alarmed so far.

CupCake28 08-28-2008 05:56 PM

Ive heard nothing but good things about thermacells. I do not personally own one and am debating to get one. I just dont know about breathing in the fumes. You cant really smell them but its still in the back of my mind. Its in your general vicinity. Now when I was at camp with an ex-bud of mine, he sat one on the table and I didnt get bit the rest of the night. It was pretty interesting.

superstrutter 08-28-2008 06:22 PM

We have discussed this so many times, but I'll chime in again. I have three of them and recommend every hunter purchase one. As for spooking deer, I really wouldn't worry too much. I have killed deer with my bow with the thermacell going. I really don't know if they smell it or not.

coyote170 08-28-2008 07:46 PM

When its warm its the first thing I grab!:D

gregrn43 08-28-2008 08:16 PM

I love mine, I live in the rice country of northeast arkansas and during early bow season its almost unhuntable because of the skeeters. Even when we have those warm days in nov. here them sorry son-of-guns come. The only problem is if the windis blowing there dont seem to work as well. Just the same I dont go to the woods without mine,its like a grunt call to me lol.

CamoCop 08-30-2008 05:15 PM

i have 2. i keep an extra just in case 1 breaks:D