HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   nonhunting son (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/260129-nonhunting-son.html)

gregrn43 08-28-2008 04:20 AM

nonhunting son

Im 43 years old and have been in love with hunting since i can remember. I grew up like most kids i guess rabbit and squirrel hunting. When i got older about 13, an uncle introduced me to deer hunting,because my dad never hunted. I was hooked from that point on, shot my first deer when i was 15. I have a son now that is 16 and I have tried all the tactics that i know to get him interested in hunting. When he was younger i would take him out squirrel hunting for only a short period of time so he would get bored or to tired. Ive tried to get him to shoot guns or bows with me, no luck there either. Him and me have a very good relationship,we ride 4 wheelers together, fish together. Im just at a loss of what else to try to get him to want to go hunting. The one thing i never do is try to push him into hunting. A friend of mine done that with his son when he was young now he is 20 and will not step foot in the woods. I just thought some hunting dads out there might have some ideas that i havent tried yet? I would certainly appreciate any advice any of you folks might have.

rybohunter 08-28-2008 04:37 AM

RE: nonhunting son

There’s really nothing more you can try. Some people just aren’t cut out for it. My brother is a great example. From the get go I lived and breathed hunting thru my childhood. My brother had next to zero interest. My Dad didn’t push him, but made it clear that anytime my bro wanted to go in the woods my Dad would take him. So my bro went a few times to see what the hype was about. Even killed a deer once. Decided it was just not for him. Some people are like that. My Dad & my bro bond thru sports, golf & other issues/activities.

texas8point 08-28-2008 05:03 AM

I feel for you man. My son is still young and Im gonna take him every chance I get, but if he doesn't want to go you dont want to force him. Maybe he doesn't want to kill anything, or doesn't like the idea of sitting in a box for hours, or whatever. Fortunatley, you can always start fishing more.

8mm 08-28-2008 05:13 AM

I cant really relate cuz i have to small lil girls that i hope will hunt with me when they get older but my ex step dad started taking me hunting when i was 5 i was hook ever since but my brother didnt work with him his dad tryed an tryed to get him to go but he didnt want to he just wanted to fish play video games an skate i call him every time i go an try to get him to go but he still dont all i can really say is u are doing the right thing by not pushing him to go an u never know one day he might start there are just some many thing fora teenage boy to do these days i hope every thing works out for u an good luck this year

jrbsr 08-28-2008 05:19 AM

ORIGINAL: gregrn43

Im 43 years old and have been in love with hunting since i can remember. I grew up like most kids i guess rabbit and squirrel hunting. When i got older about 13, an uncle introduced me to deer hunting,because my dad never hunted. I was hooked from that point on, shot my first deer when i was 15. I have a son now that is 16 and I have tried all the tactics that i know to get him interested in hunting. When he was younger i would take him out squirrel hunting for only a short period of time so he would get bored or to tired. Ive tried to get him to shoot guns or bows with me, no luck there either. Him and me have a very good relationship,we ride 4 wheelers together, fish together. Im just at a loss of what else to try to get him to want to go hunting. The one thing i never do is try to push him into hunting. A friend of mine done that with his son when he was young now he is 20 and will not step foot in the woods. I just thought some hunting dads out there might have some ideas that i havent tried yet? I would certainly appreciate any advice any of you folks might have.
Just let him go when he feels like it.

He probbly just has to much on his plate right now.( Other interests )

Just give him time.

Make sure to show him how much fun you have while hunting, but just don't push it.

If this don't work get a young lady that looks like Tiffney L and take her hunting.
He will be following you like a little puppy LoL ;)

Good Luck

jrbsr

gregrn43 08-28-2008 05:33 AM

I never push him to go, but i always ask if he wants to go. When he was a baby, i kept thinking one of these days when he is older im gonna have a dandy hunting partner and it just hasnt turned out that way. Its really heartbreaking

UncleNorby 08-28-2008 05:53 AM

I suppose you could ask what it is about hunting or shooting that he does not like. Then maybe you can adjust accordingly. Like maybe he doesn't want to sit for extended periods. I really like still hunting, so I do that when conditions are right.

Hunting that involves calling is also a change of pace, such as waterfowl and turkeys.

Just keep the offer to go hunting on the table. He may surprise you one of these days/years. What else can you do?

Steve863 08-28-2008 06:59 AM

Some people are just not born to hunt. I know it's disappointing since you like hunting so much, but he is his own person and one way or another everyone makes decisions for themselves. You tried exposing him to hunting and that is all you can do. There is more to life than hunting. I am sure there could be other ways you can enjoy each others company. You already do other things together so what's the big deal if hunting is the only thing he doesn't really enjoy?

farmcntry 08-28-2008 08:19 AM

Replace his weapon with a video camera and have him tape hunts for you.

Bob H in NH 08-28-2008 08:53 AM

I have two sons who both love to hunt, however as the older one got over 14 or so, he started to loose interest, just wasn't in his desire to get up on a Saturday at 4:00 to go duck hunting. he still loves deer hunting, but sleeping and friends take more priority.

My uncle, who pretty much taught me to deer hunt, has two sons, one is a hunting fool, loves it and lives for it. The other, could care less, never really was interested in it.

It's nothing you did or didn't do, different people like different things.

Let him go do what he wants, and just make sure to keep the door open to future hunts.