Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

nonhunting son

Old 08-28-2008, 08:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: nonhunting son

I've been hunting with my dad since i was 4 and have always loved it. My younger brother (by 14 years) has never cared for it. If they don't like it, then don't push them. However, the one thing that you can do is make them understand hunting, so they at least support it in principle even if they have no desire to do it.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:20 AM
Spike

My oldest son (now 19) dove into hunting full force. I took my 15 yr old on a youth gun hunt and he couldn't pull the trigger. He told me it was because it was a small doe.He enjoyed going but couldn't do it. I was disappointed at first but realized it's not for everybody, THANK GOODNESS!!!! I still haven't gave up hope with himyet. My adopted son (8) shows a lot of interest and will be going with me when he matures a little more.

I say, to each his own.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Is there medication for that ailment? haha jk.

I wonder if he just doesn't like to hunt, truly doesn't enjoy it, or has yet to "discover" the world of hunting.

Have you asked him if he could hunt anything in the world what it would be? if he doesn't have an answer for you, tell him to think a obut it and get back to you within a week.

If his answer is something like, there isn't anything in the world I want to shoot, it may be a lost cause.

But if he thinks, oh an elk hunt sounds amazing, or even if he says a cape buffalo in africa....that would be a start and maybe you could work out some adventure in the future to go on.

Hopefully his answer will be something domestic...and reasonable to pursue....

Or maybe bird hunting he'd enjoy? I grew up bird hunting, have never hunted a rabbit or squirrel in my life, and truthfully could care less to.

Big game bowhunting is where my passion lies currently. Maybe suggesting getting into archery/bowhunting would do it for him....

I know quite a few of my non hunting liberal friends who are anti hunting or dont see the point, recentlly I told one that most of my hunting is done with a bow, and he did a 180, he was amazed, thought that was awesome and that he'd like to get into that.

Try a few of those.....hopefully 1 of those will strike a nerve of passion.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:40 AM

ORIGINAL: farmcntry

Replace his weapon with a video camera and have him tape hunts for you.
good Idea, ask him to come out and help you out by video taping your hunt, that way you can still spend time in the woods together and he can see if it is right for him
Old 08-28-2008, 10:57 AM
Dominant Buck

None of my children hunt or want to, some of my grandkids have the itch, but I can hear the siren song of the PS3 in their ears when I mention going.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: farmcntry

Replace his weapon with a video camera and have him tape hunts for you.
That's exactly what i was thinking. If he likes doing that you will at least be together and that's the best part
Old 08-28-2008, 06:00 PM
Spike

I agree with uncle norby. Maybe he needs more hands on action, such as duck or dove huntin. Both are multiple shot sports that keep you active and you can walk around and talk, etc. If you think that he doesnt want to kill something, the video cam is a great idea. Maybe he can film you. Definitely no pushing into anything, suggest and let him decide. Something that helped me was an introduction to other kids that hunted, ex a family deer camp. That helps bring out competitive spirits and might work as well.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:11 PM
Typical Buck

I didn't push any of my kids into hunting . My oldest son is a die-hard hunting fanatic . My youngest son ( 29 ) just started hunting last year . He got skunked during bow season but got a doe during gun seasn . He's hooked !
If you push them , they will fight it !
Old 08-28-2008, 08:11 PM
Fork Horn

Ihave three sons, One likes to here boom, no intrest in hunting, but likes to shoot. One that likes hunting, and one who likes shooting trap. They are their own men, and that was their choice. Never make anyone do something because you do, let them try your intrests and if they don't, that is their choice.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:28 AM
Fork Horn

Really nothing you did or didnt do.. some kids just dont like the idea of killing something, guns, or just get bored too easily. Everyone is different

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.