Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

nonhunting son

Old 08-29-2008, 10:10 AM
Inactive

Default RE: nonhunting son

As Ed M. said - Don't push him. I have 3 kids ( a boy and two girls ) They all love to shoot targets and trap, but showed no interest in hunting, even though i loved it. It wasn't till my son was 22 years old that the interest manifested itself. Now he and I hunt together (deer) all the time. He was never pushed and made up his own mind. It's a great feeling, but maybe one you will have to wait for to experience. Good luck !
Old 08-29-2008, 02:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have 3 daughters and all 3 are different...

The oldest (26) wouldn't eat deer meat, hated fishing for more than 2 hours...
Middle one (22) was the "prissy" one, but had a free ride to Wake Forest for her Masters and is now teaching...Loves backstrap on the grill...

Youngest (16) is probably what her dad would be if he was a "she"...Loves to fish, even if they aren't biting, loves to ride the 4-wheeler and can shoot mistletoe out of a tree with my Ruger .22 pistol...Loves deer meat...

The hardest part to me was to not push my hobbies on them...I'm sure your boy is a good kid, it's fine for him to have other interests...
You tried to help him experience what you love...Continue to enjoy your hobby and let him enjoy his...He might change his mind later in life
or might not...He is old enough to do what he likes...Good Luck with him and just enjoy helping him with his life decisions...
Old 08-29-2008, 02:37 PM

Im 17 and both my dad and I love hunting. We scout together, bird hunt, yote hunt, deer hunt, a lot of stuff that involves hunting together. But my brother was just not into it in the least bit. My dad told my brother some of his hunting stories that are pretty funny, that did the trick for my brother and he opened right up!
Old 08-29-2008, 06:56 PM
Typical Buck

I have two boys, now 9 and 12. My oldest sat with me in a stand since 3 years old. He always like to go with me. As he's gotten older, he's gotten into sports heavily. He plays football, basketball, and baseball. He hangs out with his friends all the time and doesn't hunt as much as he used to. He loves the opening day of dove season (this up coming Monday), and spend three or four days a year hunting with me and he enjoys it.

My youngest son loves hunting. He goes every opporutnity he can. I enjoy the time spend with them. Last year they both shot a deer.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:07 PM
Fork Horn

This may or may not help: My wife and I have 7 kids between us. None are anti, but none hunt, either (my boy did get a 10 pt. when he was just shy of 12, with a cross bow. Only deer he ever saw in the woods. Hasn't been hunting since. Doesn't hunt now at 23, just too busy). Anyway, we decided we wanted to keep some interest there, so we started an annual family shootin' match. We shoot .22s, handguns (simulated defensive encounter) and shotguns with slugs (simulted hitting that boiler room on a whitetail). We keep score, have prizes, and have a real good time. The kids all love it. If you want, I can give you the course of fire. I should add we have 6 girls and one boy. He brings his girlfriend and her sister, so the girls outnumber the boys!

Old 08-29-2008, 08:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Nobody in my immediate family hunted. Luckily I had a 3rd cousin that hunted that carried me and his sons every chance. We have one daughter, now I have two grandsons. The 17 year old deer hunts some, but hormones are kicking in and it seems I have lost him at least some of the days. The 14 year old is solid hunting. Enjoy your fishing and 4-wheeling time with your son, you might have to wait on grandsons like I did..
Old 08-29-2008, 09:02 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: gregrn43

Im 43 years old and have been in love with hunting since i can remember. I grew up like most kids i guess rabbit and squirrel hunting. When i got older about 13, an uncle introduced me to deer hunting,because my dad never hunted. I was hooked from that point on, shot my first deer when i was 15. I have a son now that is 16 and I have tried all the tactics that i know to get him interested in hunting. When he was younger i would take him out squirrel hunting for only a short period of time so he would get bored or to tired. Ive tried to get him to shoot guns or bows with me, no luck there either. Him and me have a very good relationship,we ride 4 wheelers together, fish together. Im just at a loss of what else to try to get him to want to go hunting. The one thing i never do is try to push him into hunting. A friend of mine done that with his son when he was young now he is 20 and will not step foot in the woods. I just thought some hunting dads out there might have some ideas that i havent tried yet? I would certainly appreciate any advice any of you folks might have.
I have no doubt that you will have your hunting partner. Give it a little more time. I started squirrel hunting with my dad when I was around 10 or 12. But at 15 and 16 even 17 I didn't spend much time in the woods at all. When I turned 18 I slowly developed a passion. It takes a combination of things all working together to really suck em in, but I think it was some of my experiences on my own that got me hooked. Hunting is human nature, it takes more work to ignore the call than to answer it.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

well ed if yours just started at 29 maybe there is still hope for my son
Old 08-30-2008, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I taught both my boys to shoot starting at 8 with a single shot .22. One is 17 and the other is now 13. I also made sure they both had their hunter safety so that if they wished to go hunting they could. The older one was hot and heavy into hunting and between 12 and 16 but this year the hormones are in full force and I believe that he is more interested in chasing another type of tail. The younger one still loves to get out in the woods with me. The point is that they were both learnt gun safety and got certified with their hunter safety so if they choose to hunt they can. Who knows what the future will bring. 10 years from now their circle of peers may really be into hunting and they will be able to enjoy it with them. It would be a shame if they couldn't because they never were introduced to it. All you can do is open the door for them and if they wish to pass through they will.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think it is a sign of the times. Too much Mall, PS2, computer and "What Not To Wear". I have a son that is 12 and a daughter that is 10. My daughter is interested and wants to participate in hunting, so she comes. My son is another story, he doesn't want to do anything I like to do, like my EXWIFE, too bad he has to be influenced by her so much!! This is a sore subject with me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.