HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Best time to rattle? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/259817-best-time-rattle.html)

bowmanaj 08-26-2008 01:52 PM

Best time to rattle?

When have ya'll found the most success using rattlin antlers?? In the past Ive only rattled in the few days leading up to the peak of the rut but Ive heard different things from different people. Any advice for me to try new this year would be great. Thanks

Adam Bowman

arrow2512 08-26-2008 06:03 PM

RE: Best time to rattle?

Myself i rattle during the pre-rut , nothing hard just some light rattle ,then i'll do some grunting.

turkeyhunter85 08-26-2008 11:55 PM

I have a very succesful friend at rattlin in deer. He usually will start somewhere in the first week of nov. But, he watches the deers' moods and when they get more aggressive is when he will start. But, he says the key thing to rattlin' is that if you want a big buck to come in then you must use two different antlers and they both have to be big. he says big antlers have a totally different sound then smaller antlers and deer can tell the difference. And keep your eyes downwind cause he says over 80% of those big bucks will come in down wind

wis_bow_huntr 08-27-2008 05:14 AM

usually late october - mid november.

2Poppa 08-27-2008 09:15 AM

As soon as the velvet comes off.

I've seen bachelor groups with velvet hangin' from their heads while they were "sparring".They weren'tvery aggresivebut I could hear their racks bangin' together.

Every once in a while they would stop and "eat" the velvet off of their racks ... this was the third week of September.

whitetaildreamer 08-27-2008 11:53 AM

In early Sept. you can start with some little tinklings. The young bucks are starting to spar during this time. Do not rattle aggressively. Just as if the young bucks were playing. It is amazing how curious they are to see the new guy on the block.

bowmanaj 08-27-2008 01:15 PM

turkeyhunter85-Thanks for the advice. The rattling antlers I use are two sheds I found a few years back. they'd prob score 125-130. Hope thats big enough

SouthernStrut56 08-27-2008 11:44 PM

when you're shakin' and rollin'.

MrPhotographer06 08-28-2008 05:12 AM

ive got a ratilin bag... i need to get ahold of some antlers to rattle with..

how much grunting should i do along with rattling

bhunter50 08-28-2008 08:56 AM

Last week october and first week of november, starting soft and then getting more and more aggressive as you get closer to the second week of november.