Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Remy 870

Old 08-25-2008, 11:40 AM

Default Remy 870

I have a Remy 870 Express with a 26" barrell plus a 22" I believe Non-Rifled Slug Barrell. Now my quesiton is. Is it better to Use Sabots + a Rifled Choke in the 26" barrel or should I put the Slug barrell on and use a Rifled Slug? I think the Rifled Choke with Sabots would be better, no?
Old 08-25-2008, 12:11 PM

Default RE: Remy 870

I'm going to assume that since you mentioned no scope that you are going to be shooting open sights. Then I am going to assume that your 26 in barrel has a double bead for sighting. Your slug barrel should have rifled sights. My suggestion would then be to go with the foster type slugs in the smooth bore slug barrel. Try a few and see which one groups best and fine tune the sights on the slug barrel from there. The rifled choke tube with sabots would be a viable option with a scope or rifled sights, but just no way to fine tune it if your impact was off your aimpoint with the bead sights.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:40 PM

I just bought one also and had the same question. I decided just to pick up a few boxes of the sabots. I know, they are expensive but I did not want to mess around with the choke and I figured that it would only take a few shots to get sighted in with anyway. I do not plan on taking any shots further than a 100 yards with it either so a few shots to sight in with is more than enough. It has the open sights as well and I actually prefer that since the shotgun will be good for quick accusition in spot and stalk situations.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:55 PM

You will never know until you try both. I have heard that rifled choke tubes are hit and miss sometimes. And sabots are expensive. I say grab some boxes of shells and try both barrels with both types and see which actually shoots better.

I would personally put money on the slug barrel, even though it's a smooth bore.

Paul
Old 08-25-2008, 07:59 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with hunterdeneugene, don't try to hunt with justbeads. This is extremely difficult for even the best shooters. Although smoothbores can be amazingly accurate with Foster slugs, the problem lies in the sights: drill and tap for a scope, which can be expensive, or get a side mount or saddle mount, either of which is nearly sure to mar the finish on the receiver.

You say you think the slug barrel is rifled. Look down it and find out. I've not used the sabots much, mostly because I'm cheap but also because I don't have a lot of 100 yd. shots where I hunt, but my understanding is they don't do much for you with a smoothbore. On the the other hand if it's a rifled bore, I've read that sabots are the best way to go.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

My 870 with smoothbore 20" barrel cuts clover leaf groups at 50 with foster slugs. It likes Winchester XX
Old 08-26-2008, 06:42 AM

Let me clarify. I have a scope on a saddlemount. The 20" barrell is a smooth bore. I was thinking of getting a Rifled Choke for the 26" Rib Vent Barrell that I use for skeet, waterfowl, upland, etc. I know I can use Sabots in a rifled barrell or with a rifled choke, but use a rifled slug in a smooth bore with no rifling or rifled choke, ie the 20" barrell. I was just wondering what everyone else uses. Most of my shots are within 50yds but I would like to reach out to 100yds if I had to this is my thinking for the Rifled Choke with my 26" barrell. I guess the only way to tell is to try both right? Boy is my shoulder goign to be sore...
Old 08-26-2008, 07:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Trying it out is the only way. If you get a limbsaver recoil pad, your shoulder will thank you for it
Old 08-26-2008, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: RIStrutStopper

Trying it out is the only way. If you get a limbsaver recoil pad, your shoulder will thank you for it
and that's the truth! When I started sighting in my 870, those recoils add up quick. Personally, I wento to Bass Pro where they have a lead sled and did a lot of work there. Used a little cheaper slugs for the initial sighting in then switched to Sabots when my groupings were a little better and then did the fine tuning with the sabots. I personally use the slug barrel that came with the combo when I got it 10 years ago. First time I used it on deer was 2 years ago. Took 2 nice does with open sights, think this year Im going to give a saddle mount scope a try, hunting what I believe the best area i've ever had the chance to hunt. Good Luck!
Old 08-26-2008, 12:22 PM

Try both ways and see what works better for you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.