Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Longest shot

Old 08-26-2008, 11:46 PM

Default RE: Longest shot

i agree to some extend with timbercruiser. If you practice enough and can consistently it your target at 60, 65, 70 or further and the arrow has enough energy to still penetrate through a 1" thick piece of ply wood then you still have enough energy to pass through the side of a deer and get to the vitals of that deer. But it is still knowing your equipment and its most effictive range. I shoot a hoyt @ 65# and my most effictive range is right at 70 yards. So I would say with your equipment you have at the most a max. effictive range of 60 yards
Old 08-27-2008, 05:18 AM
Typical Buck

40 yards max for me........and thats only if the buck is blind in one eye
Old 08-27-2008, 05:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

no, no, no, and a pie plate is not good enough, if you put the center of a pie plate right behind the shoulder of a whitetail, the left 1/3 of that plat is going to be shoulder blade and leg bone! that is not good enough and this nonsence myth of it should be expunged so people get on target. It sucks watching a big buck just out of range, but from experience,,, it sure beats wounding them and living with the fact knowing you were to gready and took a bad shot and then lost that beautiful animal. What a shame I hope no one has to expierance.

oh, and 30 yards for me!
Old 08-27-2008, 07:20 AM
Spike

70 yds. is insane!! and IMO is an unethical shot! Way too many things can go wrong at that kind of distance. I prefer 20 yds, will shoot at thirty and have a 40 yard pin but would only use it if conditions were perfect.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

30 yds is it for me.

I know guys can hit targets at long range, but targets are not deer. Too much that is out of the shooter's control can happen while an arrow flies 60-70 yds.

Deer can move enough on a 30 yd shot to make you miss. That's a fact. That's why I won't even shoot that far at a deer if I think it is alert.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

70 yards my eye. I bet your buddies can throw a football over them mountains too.

Seriously, I would feel reluctant to go even 40 yards. I feel comfortable at 30 yards and under, and I've been shooting for a few days.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:13 AM
8mm
Typical Buck

30 yards
Old 08-27-2008, 10:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Your buddies are idiots.

Granted I PRACTICE to 50-60 yards but I'mnot even going to consider that kind of shot at a deer.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

The vast majority of my bow shots are 20-30 yards. The longest successful shot I havetaken wasmaybe 35 yards. Arrows and broadheads are too expensive for me to toss into the wind (If I would miss at 70 yards the chance of finding my arrow would be near 0%). Plus, I will not draw back unless I am sureit will be aclean kill (not to say I haven't missed) but70 yards is too far to be consistant. Perhaps they should work on their skills as a hunter so they can get closer to the deer.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

45 yards max for me on deer and 70 max for Elk.

Quick Reply: Longest shot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.