Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What Do You Want From a Hunting Show? >

What Do You Want From a Hunting Show?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What Do You Want From a Hunting Show?

Old 08-21-2008, 11:22 PM

Default What Do You Want From a Hunting Show?

after talking about the new show realtrees coming out with i got some mixed reviews so i thought it'd be interesting to see what the average hunter wants out of a hunting show? this could be interesting haha
Old 08-22-2008, 06:09 AM
Spike

Default RE: What Do You Want From a Hunting Show?

i would just want to see a "real" person hunting. someone with a 20 year old rifle. not the newest everything. i just wish they would show your average joe out on a hunt. i want to see all of the bloopers, mistakes, problems that happen to every hunter.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd like to see one of these famous deer slayers like Jordan, Waddell, etc. go into an area like North Maine or the Adirondacks of NY and see if they could bag a buck close in antler size to what they shoot in Texas, Alberta or Saskatchewan. Maine and the Adirondacks also hold some big racked bucks, but putting one down will not be nearly as easy at it is in the high priced areas these guys hunt. If they would happen to put a buck like that down, I would take my hat off to them. I have a hunch however that they wouldn't get to see my balding head under my hat because these guys are far from super hunters who can bag big bucks in areas that aren't swarming with them.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:08 AM
Fork Horn

In bow hunting I always like to see the replay of the arrow hitting the deer in slow motion. I believe shot placement is the most critical thing in shooting deer. Therefore, I would like to see more attention paid to hit, deer's reaction, string jump, angle, how far it ran and the type of entrance and exit hole. I know the last part is difficult because it gets into analyzing broadheads, but slowing down the shot to see the arrow impact is interesting. I hate when shows slow everything down and then cut back to the hunter before seeing the arrow in slow motion.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Send the camera crew out to the prairie with me......its easier to show you than tell you.

No new guns or gear.
Camo from four different manufacturers that has been worn to threads.
Rifle chambered in some wildcat cartridge.
Private land where real people own it.
The whole crew has to walk the walk.....every dry mile side by side with me.
We shoot big deer.
They pay for everything and when its over, leave and take all their crap with them and never come back.
Don't tell a sole where they went.

That just about covers it for me.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

In bow hunting I always like to see the replay of the arrow hitting the deer in slow motion. I believe shot placement is the most critical thing in shooting deer. Therefore, I would like to see more attention paid to hit, deer's reaction, string jump, angle, how far it ran and the type of entrance and exit hole. I know the last part is difficult because it gets into analyzing broadheads, but slowing down the shot to see the arrow impact is interesting. I hate when shows slow everything down and then cut back to the hunter before seeing the arrow in slow motion.
That is a good point, especially with bowhunting. I have seen some shots called "great shots" on these shows when in fact they did not look too great. Some looked close too being gut shots. The string jump issue is another big factor. It doesn't seem like there is enough discussion about it on film or in writing in my opinion.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: turtle hunter

after talking about the new show realtrees coming out with i got some mixed reviews so i thought it'd be interesting to see what the average hunter wants out of a hunting show? this could be interesting haha
Some one that explans what they are doing and why.
How a person can hunt a place that only has a small number of game animals in it.
And NOT places that have gobs and gobs of animals in a small spot.

The majorty of hunters just don't have the $$$$ or time to go the the really good spots.

Or a show that takes people from these type of places and takes them to the good spots.

More contests and more winners.

Not just The Rich and famous.

JMHO

Old 08-22-2008, 08:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

Two words:

Tiffany.

Bikini.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:07 AM
Typical Buck

I want a hunting show to show Hunting, real fair chase, public ground hunting. No "we are here to today with guaranteed buck outfiitters, doing some tough hunting out of this heated box blind with mini fridge and microwave. Now we have to be really selective because this fenced in pen is known for its 200 class whitetail and we don't want to screw up our hunt and shoot a 160 buck."
I can't stand being sold products all show long either, I know they have to make a living, but you don't have to plug products every time you open your mouth, maybe tell us something to actually make us better hunters, not what to buy at the store.
I also would like to see the mistakes, and don't lie about "it was a perfect shot" when you can see it was shot in the ass, we all know things don't always go right in the field, and you learn more from the mistakes than your success. Don't spend half the show talking on a porch either, maybe use that time showing setup and looking for sign, or how you decided on the area through scouting, like in the real world.
I pretty much just watch Jim Shockey and Eastmans these days, if you know of any similar shows with real hunting let me know. I know Shockey is a guide and goes on guided hunts, and has access to some great areas, but he hunts hard and gets in there with the wildlife like no other.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:45 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: millagerobert

I want a hunting show to show Hunting, real fair chase, public ground hunting. No "we are here to today with guaranteed buck outfiitters, doing some tough hunting out of this heated box blind with mini fridge and microwave. Now we have to be really selective because this fenced in pen is known for its 200 class whitetail and we don't want to screw up our hunt and shoot a 160 buck."
Dood that is Hilarious! especially with the Mini Fridge and Microwave... HAHAHAHAHAHAH
i almost fell off the chair.
so true, and sad. i used to go NUTTS to watch these show. and now.. i tell ya.. i love eastmans and Tred Barta the best.
the guy is no joke. he does just stalk.. he dont sit in no tree.
just like the Eastmans guys.. they are the BEST!
or what i think is the best atleast!
thanks.

Quick Reply: What Do You Want From a Hunting Show?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.