Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Starting out...shotgun opinions >

Starting out...shotgun opinions

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Starting out...shotgun opinions

Old 08-20-2008, 09:36 PM

Default Starting out...shotgun opinions

I'm new to hunting.In Ohio, my choices for deer hunting are a shotgun, bow and arrow or handgun. I'm going with a shotgun, but would like some opinions.
I am looking at a Remington 12 guage pump action with a slug barrel.
Any opinions on something like this vs. a hinge action double barrel?
I am a woman if that makes a difference. Thanks.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:45 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Starting out...shotgun opinions

LOL being a woman does not make a diff. If you do not mind a single shot weapon. I HIGHLY recommend the Thompson Center Encore. It hasa 12 ga rifled barrel and you can shoot sabot slugs out of it.- I have one and it definetly gets the job done. reloading it would only take about 2.5 seconds. My fiance is 5'1" and weighs 115 pounds and she has no trouble shooting it.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Might take a look at an Ithaca 37. You should not have any problems with the 870 though if you choose to go with it.
The double barrels I am not a fan of for shooting slugs because of the point of convergence issues with them, but it has been done before so I'm sure you can do it. You will just have to practice at different ranges with it to know where each barrel will shoot.
Good luck.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:45 PM

ORIGINAL: Odd_duck

I'm new to hunting.In Ohio, my choices for deer hunting are a shotgun, bow and arrow or handgun. I'm going with a shotgun, but would like some opinions.
I am looking at a Remington 12 guage pump action with a slug barrel.
Any opinions on something like this vs. a hinge action double barrel?
I am a woman if that makes a difference. Thanks.
The Remington 870 has quite the recoil, even with 2 3/4 loads. I hunted with one for 15 years, and hated every minute of it.[:'(] It was a very accurate and tough gun. But it was not the "right" gunfor me. Even with stock cut down to my length of pull, theforearm was so far forward that I really had to reach to grip the forearm. Especially so with heavy cold weather clothing on. If your arms are on the short side, that forearm will present a challenge and make the gun feel akward.
Old 08-21-2008, 02:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Look into a 20ga, less recoil and a much better slug group then a 12ga.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:36 AM
Spike

I am with BOWHUNTERCOP.

I would recommend a 20 guage. They are lighter and have less recoil. My buddies shoot the 20 guage semi by Charles Dally. Most of them shot Hornsby slugs through it. I have seen what it can do to a deer and i am telling you a 20 guage slug will knock a big hole in a deer.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BOWHUNTERCOP

Look into a 20ga, less recoil and a much better slug group then a 12ga.

I agree, check out the H&R Ultra Slug Hunter in 20 gauge. I've shot 12 gauge slugs my whole life but I'm really considering one of these USH's in 20 gauge for myself.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

sjsfire, Been using the 12ga. for deer hunting since 1980, last summer I purchased a H&R Deluxe in 20ga., what a pleasure to shoot, and a completetack driver, and not expensive at all. Last year I was on stand with it on the opener of the Illinois shotgun season, biggest buck that came in was 120", I let him walk, the next day I took a buck with my 12ga., few weeks later I took a NJ buck with that 20ga. both deer where equally dead, but my shoulder wasn't
Old 08-21-2008, 07:52 AM

Go with the Remington 870 Express combo in 20 guage. With the combo you get the extra smooth bore barrel for optional turkey and other small game hunting should you really start to get in to hunting!My local Bass Pro has a special for only $389 for the combo and that is the one that I just got for my son and myself. You should checke it out! It is solid and dependable and has a great reputation.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

An 870 12 gauge is a great all around gun. If recoil is a concern, get a limbsaver pad and it will help.

Quick Reply: Starting out...shotgun opinions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.