Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Starting out...shotgun opinions

Old 08-21-2008, 07:57 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Starting out...shotgun opinions

ORIGINAL: Odd_duck

I'm new to hunting.In Ohio, my choices for deer hunting are a shotgun, bow and arrow or handgun. I'm going with a shotgun, but would like some opinions.
I am looking at a Remington 12 guage pump action with a slug barrel.
Any opinions on something like this vs. a hinge action double barrel?
I am a woman if that makes a difference. Thanks.
Purchase the Rem 87012ga "Combo"
Old 08-21-2008, 10:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Definitely get a 20 ga.
H&R single shots have a lot of nice models, even a youth one that may fit better.
Can't go wrong with an 870 combow for versatility if you need it down the road.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:19 AM
Typical Buck

even try mossberg, they havecombos in 12, 20 and 410, i wouldnt be ashamed to use a 410 i have a cousin (female) who has a mossberg 410 and has harvested deer and small gamewith it, she loves it. when i was younger i used a 410 and took a nice 6 pointer out at 50-55 yards with mine. that thing shot like a rifle...good luck
Old 08-21-2008, 01:46 PM
Fork Horn

Full size Remington 870 combo in 20 guage. You can always but a youth stock on the shotgun if the length of pull is to long.

Old 08-21-2008, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Like others, I suggest an 870 or Mossberg 500 combo. If possible, Isuggest getting the fully rifled barrel with a cantilever scope mount, unless you want to shoot with the iron (plastic) sights.

Be sure to have an experienced shooter accompany you so you are sure to get a gun that fits your frame. A gun that doesn't fit can worsen recoil. Youth model may be the way to go if you are a smaller person.

Either a 12 or 20 will be fine. I'd suggest 12 if you think you may hunt turkeys or other bigger birds like geese someday.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:25 PM

How much money do you want to spend? The Browning BPS is a better gun in my opinion than both the mossberg and the 870 and they have a youth/ladies model that is really nice. My girlfriend looked at one and really liked it.

If your on a budget I would also suggest an H&R Ultra in a 20 ga. Really decent guns for the money.

Or you could try an inline muzzle loader.

Paul
Old 08-21-2008, 05:31 PM
Fork Horn

I've only seen one mention of a semi-auto. The 870 is a great gun, but an 1100 in 20 ga. will be more pleasant to shoot.

You forgot one more choice you have in Ohio: muzzleloading.

I don't know where you are, but come see us at the Cambridge Gun Show, 9-27 and 9-28, and you can probably handle one of all these guns.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:47 PM

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions. I went to a store today and tried several. The Remington 870 was too longand the youth models were just a bit short, so I think I have settled on the H&R Ultra Slughunter in 20 guage. It fits me, and it has a thumbhole stock which is great for my hand. The guy there suggested that I could get a 12 guage field gun (which are pretty economical) if I decided to move on to turkeys, etc.

usmc1978,
As for the muzzle loader idea, I have seen an inline one that I thought was workable, but I am not familiar with them enough to know that. I was in the Army, so my idea of shooting is a nice, light, no kick M16 LOL. I may just have to check out that gun show however. I live north of Dayton so it's not terribly far. Thanks.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:24 PM
Typical Buck

what city or town are u from odd-duck...also what counties will u be hunting?
Old 08-21-2008, 08:34 PM

I live in Brookville. About 20 miles northwest of Dayton. As for where I will be hunting, probably Montgomery, Preble, Darke area.

Quick Reply: Starting out...shotgun opinions

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.