Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 To be courteous to non hunters, Is it O.K to transport your deer on the roof of your car? >

To be courteous to non hunters, Is it O.K to transport your deer on the roof of your car?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

To be courteous to non hunters, Is it O.K to transport your deer on the roof of your car?

Old 08-19-2008, 11:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default To be courteous to non hunters, Is it O.K to transport your deer on the roof of your car?

To be courteous to non-hunters (Including anti-hunters), do you think itis alright to transport your deer on the roof of your car/SUV? I drive back through downtown Chicago after I am done hunting and usually (If things go right) I have a deer on the roof of my SUV. Now, Ive heard hunters say that to respect the non-hunters, this shouldn't be done and the deer should be taken to a local butcher. Personally,theproperty I hunt is FAR from home and cannot be taken to a local butcher and then be able to be picked up within a decent time frame.

On the other hand, Ive heard from hunters that you should be proud of your deer and proudly display it. Ive had mixed reactions driving through downtown Chicago, some thumbs up from people and some middle fingers. I meet a few guys at a bar right outside Wrigley Field at the end of the season and we stop by for a beer and show off our harvest. Last year people were walking by my SUV, then coming into the bar and shaking my hand and congratulating me on my doe! Unusual for downtown Chicago!

What does everyone think, I'm curious to see what you think about driving through a big city with your deer being displayed.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:49 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: To be courteous to non hunters, Is it O.K to transport your deer on the roof of your car?

As long as there is no blood dripping of the tongue hanging out and its cleaning displayed, and you have no other way of transporting, it shouldnt be no problem. Also depends on community you have to go through. I wouldnt have it stroling down downtown Chicago but it seems they have been ok with it from your post.

If you have a trailer with a 4wheeler or something like that, it could be better. NOW, I personally wouldnt mind having it up high but for people who are animal lovers and such, its probly best for the wrap of hunters to try and control the image.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:50 AM

Default RE: To be courteous to non hunters, Is it O.K to transport your deer on the roof of your car?

Don't worry about what others think. I know there is the polite idea. But is it polite that the anti hunters display their anti hunting bumper stickers we have to see everyday. They dont think about my side of the hunting spectrum why should I consider theirs?

And for none hunters, well honestly I really dont think they care. They know people hunt and if the see a dead deer the only thing thats gonna go through their mind is "Nice Deer", "Awe, poor deer", or"Well, theres something you dont see everyday". However, 10 minutes later they prolly forgot they ever saw it.

If all else fails cover it with a tarp.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:51 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Transcendstime

Don't worry about what others think. I know there is the polite idea. But is it polite that the anti hunters display their anti hunting bumper stickers we have to see everyday. They dont think about my side of the hunting spectrum why should I consider theirs?

And for none hunters, well honestly I really dont think they care. They know people hunt and if the see a dead deer the only thing thats gonna go through their mind is "Nice Deer" or "Well, theres something you dont see everyday".
I understand. But, I dont think anyone should go down the road with blood running down the side. That shows no respect to the people around, or more importantly, respect to the animal.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:56 AM

ORIGINAL: Icetrey

I understand. But, I dont think anyone should go down the road with blood running down the side. That shows no respect to the people around, or more importantly, respect to the animal.
Absolutely be tasteful about it. However, also I would not go out of my way to drop a deer @ a butcher 2-3hrs away (just a example) just to have to come back the next week to pick it up so I dont upset a tree hugger.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have almost a four hour drive back from my hunting trip and I do that twice during the 2 Illinois firearms seasons. I have a full size Dodge Quad cab and a fiberglass top. My windows are heavy tinted on the topper so no one can see inside the bed of my truck. I only show someone my deer on the way home if they ask to see it at rest stops, etc. I've seen some tasteless ways guys transport their deer over the years. Back when the Honda Odesy (sp?) was popular some jerk transported his deer back tied into the little dune buggy seat and put a helmet on the doe's head. I just try not to draw attention to the fact that I'm hauling a dead deer, not that I'm ashamed of being a hunter. I just try to be descrete.......just my 2 cents.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

We went thru this topic a while back. Anybody driving along highways nowdays is gonna see their share of roadkill deer with guts and blood splattered all over the place. So, i have little patience with arguments that those folks are gonna be hopelessly traumatized by seeing a deer tied to a vehicle. I wouldnt do it just to show off a deer, but would certainly have no problem with someone doing it if that if they need to.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:23 PM
Typical Buck

Transcend, me neither. If thats what I have to do, then thats what I have to do.

Every time I have killed a deer I put it in the back of my truck either beside the 4wheeler or alone with no 4wheeler. One time however, I tied it on the rack on the back seat of the 4wheeler. It was pretty much a ball of fur and antlers sticking out.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

I wouldn't tie one to the roof of my vehicle. Put it in the SUV in one of those rubber mats so blood doesn't get on the carpet.

It's just out of mutual respect for other people and the animals.

Some people might not like to see dead animals tied to a car just like I don't like to see 3 foot tall grass in my neighbors yard.

Of course, some times you gotta do what you gotta do.

Old 08-19-2008, 01:07 PM
Typical Buck

I have a truck so deer go in the bed. I don't hide them, but there's no reason to put one on the hood. I'm pretty sure the Mrs. wouldn't allow one in or on her car.

Quick Reply: To be courteous to non hunters, Is it O.K to transport your deer on the roof of your car?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.