Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Buying a new slug gun...advice?? >

Buying a new slug gun...advice??

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Buying a new slug gun...advice??

Old 08-19-2008, 11:00 AM
Spike

Default Buying a new slug gun...advice??

I've never hunted with a slug gun before, as the WI deer season and area I hunt is a rifle area. I drew a tag for the 2nd season gun hunt in Western Iowa, so I would like to get the best shooting slug gun available, along with the right sabot/slugs togo with it. I'm hoping to be able to reach out to 150 yards accurately, as we'll be hunting by pushing woodlots, with most shots in the 75-150 yard area. Thanks for the advice in advance!!
Old 08-19-2008, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Buying a new slug gun...advice??

I love my H&R Ultra Deluxe in 20ga. single shot(they make it in 12ga as well) topped off with a Leupold VX-II in 3-9x40, I'm using Hornady SST slugs, this shotgun is a tack driver!!!!!

You did mention you may do drives, with that said then you may want a repeater, look into either the Mossberg 500 or the Remington 870 both are pumps, and look at the ones with the rifled/cantilever rail barrel, and place a decent scope on it
Old 08-19-2008, 11:45 AM
Fork Horn

jr,
If you are looking for a dedicated slug gun, for the money, its hard to beat an H&R Ultra Slug Hunter. Single shot, but you only need one:

http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Shotguns/ultraSlug.asp

I personally like the thumbhole stock, but that's me. Pick a red dot or scope you like, find the sabot that shoots best in your gun barrel, and have at 'em.
As for slug, I like either the Federal Barnes Expanders or Hornady SST's from my 870, same from my son's USH.
Ask 10 people and you'll get 15 opinions on the 'best' slug....and they are all right, find yours.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't own a H&R USG but if I was going to buy a new slug gun "today" I'd take a hard look at them in 20 gauge. Everyone I know that has one really likes them. My problem is I already have a Remington 870, 1187, and a Mossberg 500 all 12 gauges with slug barrels and two muzzleloaders to deer hunt with.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sjsfire

I don't own a H&R USG but if I was going to buy a new slug gun "today" I'd take a hard look at them in 20 gauge. Everyone I know that has one really likes them. My problem is I already have a Remington 870, 1187, and a Mossberg 500 all 12 gauges with slug barrels and two muzzleloaders to deer hunt with.
you work hard everyday, go out and treat yourself to a new toy
Old 08-19-2008, 02:20 PM

If you get the H&R/NEF, be advised that you won't be able to fit rifle barrels to that frame. If you buy the rifle, however, you can fit the slug barrel to that frame.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:51 PM
Fork Horn

Highly recommend the H&R USH, they now make 1 with a thumbhole stock (nice feature).their made in both 20& 12 gauge....
Old 08-19-2008, 09:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

benelli 20ga.

Old 08-20-2008, 12:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BOWHUNTERCOP

ORIGINAL: sjsfire

you work hard everyday, go out and treat yourself to a new toy

Actually I just retired this spring. I did get a nice payout check for some unused vacation. My wife said I should go out and buy me a ATV with it but I'd rather hold off. And I do have a spare scope just kinda sittin around ..........Maybe I'll give my buddy with the FFL a call and have him price me out one.
Old 08-20-2008, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Im very happy with my H&R

Quick Reply: Buying a new slug gun...advice??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.