Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Not quite a shooter...but still a good one. >

Not quite a shooter...but still a good one.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Not quite a shooter...but still a good one.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Not quite a shooter...but still a good one.

thats a shooter buck. i would take a crack at him
Old 08-18-2008, 08:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

BBD
Old 08-18-2008, 09:21 PM
Fork Horn

I'm shooting that big boy, that's a beautiful deer!
Old 08-18-2008, 09:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

You would pass him.....Ha who are you kidding! You would take a 60 yard unethical shot at him quarting towards you getting ready to mount a doe, neck shot if he gave you a chance. But yeah I think I would let him pass
Old 08-18-2008, 09:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Where I hunt I would take him with no hesitation, with bow or gun.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

you'd be silly to pass him up........but then again, Missouri grows them big deer....I'd shoot it regardless.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:34 AM
Fork Horn

wow.. that really shows deer sizes.. most wall hangers here are good 8 and up....

a 10 is a shooter ANY day..
Old 08-19-2008, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

He does look young. Do you have enough land that you are able to pass him up this year and KNOW he will make to next year? I will be honest,with his tine lenght, I would put holesin him. Great look buck!!!
Old 08-19-2008, 07:32 AM
Typical Buck

Yeah guys, I've already been sorta crucified on the bowhunting forum for saying I would let him pass. Honestly, I would have to. We have 300 acres to hunt on and we've seen this deer last year. In fact, my two other hunting partners believe they passed on this buck last year. He is a pretty young buck, 3.5 year's old. We want to get these bucks up into the 4.5 to 5.5 range. We don't adopt the philosophy that if we don't shoot it somebody else will. We can't think that way. He has great G 2's but not a lot of mass and he isn't very wide. Also, passing on this deer doesn't mean I'll get a guaranteed larger buck, it just means we are trying to get these bucks up there to a more mature age. It would be tough to let him pass, no question. In fact, I might have to think real long and hard about not shooting this buck if the opportunity presented itself.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:02 AM
Kid
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: louddrummer69

Yeah guys, I've already been sorta crucified on the bowhunting forum for saying I would let him pass. Honestly, I would have to. We have 300 acres to hunt on and we've seen this deer last year. In fact, my two other hunting partners believe they passed on this buck last year. He is a pretty young buck, 3.5 year's old. We want to get these bucks up into the 4.5 to 5.5 range. We don't adopt the philosophy that if we don't shoot it somebody else will. We can't think that way. He has great G 2's but not a lot of mass and he isn't very wide. Also, passing on this deer doesn't mean I'll get a guaranteed larger buck, it just means we are trying to get these bucks up there to a more mature age. It would be tough to let him pass, no question. In fact, I might have to think real long and hard about not shooting this buck if the opportunity presented itself.
Good for you, man! Personally, I'm drilling him, but i don't have an issue with any one who would take him or let him walk. Whatever makes a person happy is just fine with me!

Quick Reply: Not quite a shooter...but still a good one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.