Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Trail Camera's ..Do They Take the "Hunt" out of Hunting? >

Trail Camera's ..Do They Take the "Hunt" out of Hunting?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Trail Camera's ..Do They Take the "Hunt" out of Hunting?

Old 08-18-2008, 02:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Trail Camera's ..Do They Take the "Hunt" out of Hunting?

ORIGINAL: Mottz

It's just a picture. It doesn't say where he is going, eating, looking for or anything. Shows whats out there. Still need to fit the pieces together to get a particular deer. I think it would be neat to get pics and then if I got that deer to have a mount with the pics under it or something.
"its just a picture" ...I suppose thats true but let me pose a question.... if you were buck hunting and you had a camera set up in an area that showed very little movement or nothing but doe's would you spend time in that area hunting ...if your answer is no then I would have to say it more then "just a picture" ...Im not condeming the use of the trail camera ...my question was is itmaking it to easy ... is it taking the human factor more out of the equation ....is ittaking the HUNT out of HUNTing...?

dd

Old 08-18-2008, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DoctorDeath

my question was is itmaking it to easy ... is it taking the human factor more out of the equation ....is ittaking the HUNT out of HUNTing...?

dd

I think what it does is take the surprise out of hunting to some degree. With the use of cameras hunters now know more of what types of bucks are in the area. It does not assure you of a kill but it does reduce a lot of time huntin' for big ones when you can findwhere they're staying.

That all being said, I have no problem with them. (I do not personally use them) Scopes make it a lot easier as well. So does 4 wheelers, food plots, climbing treestand ect. One could take it to the extreme and say that the only way to not take the "hunt" out of hunting is to hunt w/a spear in a loincloth. I think to each their own though.

Old 08-18-2008, 02:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: TNHagies

my question was is itmaking it to easy ... is it taking the human factor more out of the equation ....is ittaking the HUNT out of HUNTing...?

dd

I think what it does is take the surprise out of hunting to some degree. With the use of cameras hunters now know more of what types of bucks are in the area. It does not assure you of a kill but it does reduce a lot of time huntin' for big ones when you can findwhere they're staying.

That all being said, I have no problem with them. (I do not personally use them) Scopes make it a lot easier as well. So does 4 wheelers, food plots, climbing treestand ect. One could take it to the extreme and say that the only way to not take the "hunt" out of hunting is to hunt w/a spear in a loincloth. I think to each their own though.

TNH your point is well taken but maybe were not on the exact same page ...yes a scope, 4 wheeler, treestand ect. has made the hunter more proficient andmade scouting a littleeasierbut with these items there is still a eliment of doubt because the hunter still has to make up his mind where to place his stand based on the deer sign he has found ....the deer has a reasonable chance which is theway a hunt should be IMHO ...again don't get me wrong ...those of you that know the good Doctor know's I tell it like it is ...Ive used the camera AND I still own one or two but just am not sure if I will be using them anymore to do my scouting for me ...Ilike the challange ofusing the knowledge that I have earned over the last 30 years of hunting along with what my dad taught me when I was a kid to try and out smart the white tail....thats all.

dd
Old 08-18-2008, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Actually dd, my cameras are where my stands are and have been. 1 is between 2 doe bedding areas and thats what most of my pictures are. I finally got a cruising buck to come thru there. Either way my stand is there. I did my homework on trails, droppings, flattened grass to know the general area I want to be in. Now I hope that buck will come thru during season. It'll give me that 2nd thought of letting smaller ones walk or waiting for bigger. I mainly just love the suspense of seeing whats out there.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:16 PM
Fork Horn

it seems to me that we might be loosing perspective on what hunting is really supposed to be.
With all of the hunters on this site, I am going to guess that we all don't have the same definition of "what hunting is supposed to be".
Old 08-18-2008, 07:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Bob S

it seems to me that we might be loosing perspective on what hunting is really supposed to be.
With all of the hunters on this site, I am going to guess that we all don't have the same definition of "what hunting is supposed to be".
Bob your 100% right ...thus why I said "itSEEMS to me" !

dd
Old 08-18-2008, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

With all the trailcamera technology on the market today I have to wonder if this has not removed the "hunt" out of "Hunting" ...I know that the trail cam's have become extreamly popular over the past 5 years but has it made us lazy? I remember growing up that deer hunting ment a lot of walking, looking for andreading sign and trying to figure out a way to out think and out smart a deer, sometimes successful but normally not (thus why it is called HUNTing). However now with the trail cam explosion has happened it seems to me that we might be loosing perspective on what hunting is really supposed to be. So tell me is it just ME or have any of you other guy's had the same thoughts?

dd
first off, howdy DD...how's Kentucky treat'n you, you miss'n Bama?

next, i think my trail camera's make me hunt harder and make me a better hunter. i still walk around and scout my area's, looking for sign and places to hang my camera's. they allow me to see what kind of game are in my area, so i know when to stick it out and when to try another area. in the past i know i've gave up on area's that potentially held nice bucks simply because i did not see anything. if i'm hunting an area that i got pictures of nice bucks, i tend to stick it out alot longer due to knowing they are there instead of hoping they are there. i'm still in the woods every other weekend scouting and looking.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've had a monster whitetail on camera for a couple years now, been trying to figure him out but I've never seen him in person.. Neat pics though, probably nuff said bout that...
Old 08-19-2008, 04:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have dozens of buck on camera that I have never seen on camera. I've been putting cameras out for four years now. How may of the buck that I have on camera do you think I harvested? Only one. It's not as easy as getting a picture and then going and shooting the deer. It's only a tool to give you an idea of the deer in your area. Anyone who thinks cameras allow you to be more lazy in your approach obviously has never used cameras or has not used cameras long. DD put all your cams out this year and report back to uswhen you find and shoot that wallhanger you have on film.
Old 08-19-2008, 05:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Mottz

It's just a picture. It doesn't say where he is going, eating, looking for or anything. Shows whats out there. Still need to fit the pieces together to get a particular deer. I think it would be neat to get pics and then if I got that deer to have a mount with the pics under it or something.
couldnt have said it better myself

Quick Reply: Trail Camera's ..Do They Take the "Hunt" out of Hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.