Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

EVERYONE PLEASE READ!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-18-2008, 04:07 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: EVERYONE PLEASE READ!!!!!!!!!

For in the home use get her a SINGLE shot 12 gauge. It takes a lot of practice to use a pistol in an effective manner when you are under duress. In the 12 gauge use #4 BIRDSHOT. At the typical range you hit an intruder (4 to 6 feet) it leaves horrific wounds and is surley going to require you to repaint whatever section of the house was behind the intruder. I think you should also have her speak to someone what it is like to shoot someone. The internet is the place for a lot of bullcrap bravado but take it from me. When you pull that trigger your life truley just changed, no matter what the outcome. Shooting someone is a life altering occurance.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:47 PM

I agree with Snook384. If you have a firearm for home defense / personal protection you must be ready to use it. Pulling it out and showing it off won't do much good.

It does sound like she is ready to buy.

I would take her to the gun shop and let her pick out which ones fit her hand the best. Similar styled guns will fit differently.

I usually recommend a S&W 642 with enclosed hammer for a carry gun because it can be carried in her purse and fired in the purse with out jamming. Federal Hydroshok in .38+p will get the job done.

As for a Semi-auto pistol I like the Springfield XD. It comes in a compact (4" barrel) and the sub-compact (3" barrel). It is an excellent handgun and is very reasonable as far as price goes. Another one I like if she wants a little small is a Kahr. Excellent handgun and a little more expensive than the XD.

Glocks are also a good handgun and if she is interested in one I would recommend that she handle one before buying. I know that for me the newer Glock do not fit my hands properly but the older models do fit. My problem is I have very large hands and some models just don't fit and Glock is one of them.

Just my $.02

Good Luck!

Old 08-18-2008, 09:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Gun for just in the home?

I'd skip that single shot. What if there is 2 or 3 jabronies?

Woman? 20 gauge pump.

Man? Should probobly think 12 gauge pump.

Bird shot & some big old buckshot.

EVERYONE knows the sound of pump action being worked - AND FEARS IT.

Another thing that is so important is that in today's lawyer-happy society, you best know the laws about shooting someone in your home BEFORE pulling the trigger.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

a glock berreta or even a good ruger why not a 9mm
Old 08-19-2008, 02:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Like others have siad..for home you can't beat a pump shotgun. If you even think there is someone in the house racking the slide does one of two things. 1. gets the to speak up and let you know who/where they are. Or 2. Gets them on the run out of the house. And if they go for option 3. you don't have to be very acurate to put them down with buck shot or a heavy bird shot.

For concealed carry I have a Taurus PT140. Its a 10+1 with .40 s&w. Great concealable gun. A revolver is also a nice choice for safety. My dad owes one of the Taurus Titanium 357 mags. 7 rounds (or six with and open under the hammer) very light almost unnoticable. Very nice. But recoil is hard.

Whatever it is have her shoot and get comfortable so shooting is second nature and so she handles it safely too.

Good luck.
Old 08-19-2008, 05:17 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Jasonlester

Like others have siad..for home you can't beat a pump shotgun. If you even think there is someone in the house racking the slide does one of two things. 1. gets the to speak up and let you know who/where they are. Or 2. Gets them on the run out of the house. And if they go for option 3. you don't have to be very acurate to put them down with buck shot or a heavy bird shot.

For concealed carry I have a Taurus PT140. Its a 10+1 with .40 s&w. Great concealable gun. A revolver is also a nice choice for safety. My dad owes one of the Taurus Titanium 357 mags. 7 rounds (or six with and open under the hammer) very light almost unnoticable. Very nice. But recoil is hard.

Whatever it is have her shoot and get comfortable so shooting is second nature and so she handles it safely too.

Good luck.
X2 thats why a pump shotgun is always close by in my house not that i live in fear as some people might say or think always be prepared. i pray the best for you girlfriend also man. thats gotta bea hardship for you both. best of luck to you both
Old 08-20-2008, 06:03 AM

Just remember the larger the caliber and the lighter the gun, the more it will kick. A second well placed shot may be more important than knock down power. I don't know about the stun gun idea, that may lead to conflicting stories when the police get there.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:15 AM
Dominant Buck

I just bought a Taurus 85 Lite five shot revolver in .38 caliber, small enough to fit in a pocket, powerful enough to do the job. It can handle Plus P loads, but I have two shotshells and three Glasers in it just in case I actually have to use it in public. With two boxes of semi-jacketed hollowpoints the damage was just under $400. It would make an excellent purse pistol for any lady.
Old 08-20-2008, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Jeff Ovington

ORIGINAL: Siman08/OH

I like to invest in big dogs
Me too....
Dobermans,German Sheppards if ya want get a Pitbull.
Dogs are fast and wirery when it comes to household invasions.And properly trained ones don't give up.
If the guy gets outta the house have the dog chase him down.
One for every member of the house.
And if ya want something else for piece of mind, get a stun gun.
Its very probablethat that bullet may stray through the wall andand into one of your own familly members.

even better a mastiff
Old 08-20-2008, 05:15 PM
Spike

Thanks guys for all of your help. We decided on the Glock 27 which is the sub-compact .40. She has been trained on how to handle a firearm. This will not be a solution to the problem, but hopefully protection if an adverse situation ever arises.

God bless you all and good luck this season!!!

Quick Reply: EVERYONE PLEASE READ!!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.