HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   controlling deer routes? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/258083-controlling-deer-routes.html)

lightsouthunter11 08-16-2008 01:33 PM

controlling deer routes?

is it true that you can make deer go a certain way by putting a brush pile somewhere to redirect there path? i read it in an outdoor life recently and wondered

SJAdventures 08-16-2008 01:40 PM

RE: controlling deer routes?

Very true! I have made man made funnels by cutting down trees to force deer to go where I wanted them to. It really works. I have also brushed in or cut down trees across heavily traveled paths that were in an area you could not hunt and redirected them to a path that passed by my tree stand. This was in the days before all of the awesome ground blinds that are available today. But if the right situation presents itself you still can make funnels that will force deer to pass by your tree stand or ground blind within shooting distance. I have also made paths through extremely thick cover in the off season with my 4 wheeler that deer will adopt readily. They are very lazy.

lightsouthunter11 08-16-2008 02:53 PM

thanks man ill do that

can i cut down some brush in my hunting area before bowseason and do it???

MrPhotographer06 08-16-2008 04:00 PM

i've also had a buddy of mine.. back into a briar patch about yards from a deer trail.. earllyyy one morning..well about shooting time he hears the deer walking then the crunching gets louder.. then all of a sudden the deer came out the briar thicket.. like you couldnt see through the thicket..and the deer went through it.

but i've heard of deer being diverted.. my bow stand i set up is right by a trail and then the trail Y's about 30 yards in front of the stand :D

lightsouthunter11 08-16-2008 04:11 PM

ORIGINAL: MrPhotographer06

i've also had a buddy of mine.. back into a briar patch about yards from a deer trail.. earllyyy one morning..well about shooting time he hears the deer walking then the crunching gets louder.. then all of a sudden the deer came out the briar thicket.. like you couldnt see through the thicket..and the deer went through it.

but i've heard of deer being diverted.. my bow stand i set up is right by a trail and then the trail Y's about 30 yards in front of the stand :D
what are you saying??

MrPhotographer06 08-16-2008 04:28 PM

i saw an article about the man-made tunnels..
but

sometimes they wont follow trails because he was right next to the trail and this deer walked through the brush...

sjsfire 08-16-2008 08:57 PM

Never tried the brush trick but I did "help" them cross the fence closer to my stand by removing the top strand of barbed wire. I'm set up on my buddy's land and which borders the Shawnee Forrest. The fence is from his old horse pasture. Here's a picture of a couple of deer getting ready to cross it back in Feburary.

Tree climber 08-17-2008 06:43 AM

I have cut many trails for the deer to travel.if you cut it , they will use it.I have one of those DR power trimmer weed eater as they say.
it is like a push type lawn mower with a blade that looks like it should be on you table saw, but it has a chainsaw chain on it.it will cut up to 4" thick.you can cut one side and then the other side and get an 8" tree cut down.

I hunt an area where they cut the timber about 10 to 12 years ago.it is so thick you can't crawl through.the deer can get through ; BUT if you cut a trail the deer will use it every morning and night instead of the thick stuff.

I have 3 trails coming outta the thicket coming by my stand within shoot distance.I have also took some of the limbs and layed high enough4' to 5'so the deer will have to turn and will down the trail at 20 yards from my stand.when they turn,they are broad side to me at 20 yards.perfect bow shot.

you can just take a machete and trim the trail and the deer will start to use it.as they say,"the path of least resistance."