HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Hunting on a fence line ? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/257654-hunting-fence-line.html)

texas8point 08-14-2008 08:34 AM

Hunting on a fence line ?

I have a 1 and 1/2 acre food plot and feeder that I haveused for 17 years. Our land owner sold a small peice of land that butts up to my feeder and food plot. The guy only ran cows on it last year, however this year he wants to hunt it.........even thomy stuff is next to, but not touching the fence I'm not gonna move my food plot or feeder at this point......am I wrong.

Lanse couche couche 08-14-2008 08:38 AM

RE: Hunting on a fence line ?

If you have the right to be there, then what is the problem, unless the guy decides to be a jerk and set up right across the line from you.

bmtaylor6 08-14-2008 08:41 AM

I would post the line and make sure you don't hang a stand on the fence line as a common courtesy. If he's an ethical hunter he will not shoot into you food plot. If not, you may have a problem. But, post the line inside fence on your property (trees) none the less. It might be a good idea to notify your local DNR officer as well ahead of time in case problems arise in the future.

Lanse couche couche 08-14-2008 08:44 AM

Calling the DNR just because someone bought ground next to where you hunt and wants to now hunt his ground sounds a little extreme, unless i am missing something here.

texas8point 08-14-2008 10:15 AM

He hasNOTput up a stand or feeder or anything near me, and there is a 5 wire fence between us so unless he goes out of his way to be an AHole........everything will be good. Now my foodplot runs right up to the fence and my feeder is maybe 10 yards from the fence......

RugerM77.270 08-14-2008 10:27 AM

ORIGINAL: texas8point

He hasNOTput up a stand or feeder or anything near me, and there is a 5 wire fence between us so unless he goes out of his way to be an AHole........everything will be good. Now my foodplot runs right up to the fence and my feeder is maybe 10 yards from the fence......
If you don't want to move your feeder the only choice you have is to not get mad when he shoots a deer on his side of the fence on its way to your plot and feeder.

GRIZZLYMAN 08-14-2008 10:48 AM

Reminds me of a story one of our friends and neighbors told me last year. They have a lease and owned land that butts up to ours. Most of us in the area get along, and don't mind the others crossing land, etc... We had some people lease a tract that is adjacent to ours and our friends. One of them came over onto the friend's leased land (tresspassed) and told him he had to move his stand (which has been there for years). Unbelievable nerve.

Mottz 08-14-2008 11:33 AM

So what happens if you shoot a deer by your feeder and it jumps the fence to his property?

USNRETHunter 08-14-2008 12:18 PM

In Iowa, and I assume in most states, "Trespass" specifically does NOT include, "...the unarmed pursuit of game or furbearing animals lawfully injured or killed which come to rest on or escape to the property of another." Just make sure you leave your gun on your side of the fence.

Lanse couche couche 08-14-2008 12:21 PM

It varies from state to state. In Illinois it is illegal to enter property without permission to retrieve game no matter what. I think that it has changed, but in Louisiana years ago, one could enter property unarmed to retrieve game even though it was technically illegal because it would only be a slap on the wrist if one was caught, compared to armed trespass.