Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

topo maps

Old 08-11-2008, 01:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default topo maps

Folks: looking for some help: I used to get my topo maps through TOPO-Zone. Now they are affiliated with Trails.com, hence ending the ability to download for free.

Anyone out there have a free site for topo maps?? Thanks in advance!!
Old 08-11-2008, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: topo maps

I've always used www.terraserver-usa.com. You have to pay for maps, like if you want one laminated and what not,but I always print them out for free and it works just fine. Or if you want a large map, you can save the picture to your computer and enlarge it with a photo editor then print it out in sections and laminate it. Haven't been to that site in a while, but it used to be a good one for topos.
Old 08-11-2008, 03:32 PM

Hey, can you tell me a site or thread on this forum on how to understand topo maps. Thanks
Old 08-11-2008, 08:04 PM
Fork Horn

i use google earth and i downloaded the USGS 24k Topographic Index. you can either download the maps and use them alone or youcan over lay them on google earth. Ifyou do that all your waypoints willshow up on thetopomap. If you just want that map PMwith an email and ill send you the map you want. I tookmymap to Sams club and got it printed out as a 20 x 30 map.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:04 PM

I enjoy hanging deer from trees and taking pictures of them die with a disposable camera. then i throw all of the pics away.
[align=left] [/align]
Old 08-12-2008, 10:34 AM
Fork Horn

grey monster,, you are using what with google earth?, and im also interested on adding way points to the maps,, can oyou explain in detail for us? thanks!
Old 08-12-2008, 10:35 AM
Fork Horn

USGS 24k Topographic Index
ORIGINAL: grneyemonstr

i use google earth and i downloaded the USGS 24k Topographic Index. you can either download the maps and use them alone or youcan over lay them on google earth. Ifyou do that all your waypoints willshow up on thetopomap. If you just want that map PMwith an email and ill send you the map you want. I tookmymap to Sams club and got it printed out as a 20 x 30 map.
Do you use Google Earth of Google Earth Plus? Where did you find the USGS 24K Ropographic Index?

Thanks,

Bob
Old 08-12-2008, 10:35 AM
Fork Horn

Sorry green eyed moster,,sorry
Old 08-12-2008, 11:59 AM
Fork Horn

First off i do use Google earth plus but it do not believe it is required for the program i use. I only got it to save time entering waypoints from my gps when i go scouting. it it was either 20 or 40 for a year.

OK here goes, this is a reply that i already gave to a few through pm's:

i got the overlays at www.usgsquads.com, once there scroll down and on the lower right corner you will see the place to download it for google earth. once you download it there are a few ways to use it. you can either click your state - that will put a bunch of i's in circles (symbol for information) each symbol is aUSGS topo map area. you click the i you want once anda balloon will pop up and you can download the map to your desk top. second way is click the topo overlay box and you can see an over lay in the area you are looking at on google earth. make sure when you first download it and use it that onlythe boxes you will be using are checked. i removed all states that i dont need so basically i only have michigan on my computer. there are some pop up windows you can get rid of by unclicking the warning and instructions boxes. It is really really easy to use. the instruction box gives you a brief run down of exactly what you want to do.

About taking the maps to Costco or Sams. you will have to download the map to your computer then convert the file to a jpg. It is really easy if you have never done it. I used a program called Lviewpro. All you do is open lviewpro, open the map, click save as, then name it and under were you name it change it from .tif to .jpg and you are done. fedex kinkos said they would do a colored 18x24 map for me for 25.00 and sams did a 20 x 30 color through 1 hour photo for 11.00 + tax. I got it matte and put it behind a poster frame with a plastic cover and i can write on it with dry erase markers. If you get stuck or need more help let me know.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:10 PM
Spike

Well, I use both the Terrain button in Google maps and I use this site http://www.digital-topo-maps.com/

Good luck.

Quick Reply: topo maps

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.