HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   .223 ok 4 deer? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/257144-223-ok-4-deer.html)

wi_buckstomper 08-11-2008 12:30 PM

.223 ok 4 deer?

i was wonderring if you guys thought a .223 was ok 4 deer. i no it would be light and you would have to limit your shots but with heavy bullets and hollow points would it be ok?

Bocajnala 08-11-2008 12:35 PM

RE: .223 ok 4 deer?

haha not this subject again. You will get many answers, and maybe some mad people to, but heres my thoughts. If you KNOW how to shoot. MEaning if you know your capabilities, your gun, your ammo, everything. Yes it is ok. You have to be very picky on your shot distance, angle, and pick your spots good. it is more then enough for deer if you are smart about it.
-Jake

Strange Biller 08-11-2008 12:37 PM

I hunt mostly in Maine and if I am not mistaken it is illegal to use a .223 for deer - I think the bullet has to be larger than .22, but I could be mistaken.

And, even if it were legal, I wouldn't use one. a .223 is such a nice killing round for people (hence the 5.56/.223 caliber of the M16/M4) because it makes a mess of whatever it hits. The whole point is that it is light, travels along bone and just makes a general mess. That's good for incapacitating humans, but not so good for killing a deer quickly and cleanly. All but the very best shots would ruin meat and let the deer run away to die someplace else.

skb2706 08-11-2008 12:57 PM

Anytime the question comes upit would seem the person asking the question considers all deer to be the same size. I can assure you they are not. A large buck here goes over 350 lbs. a small doe in TX goes less than 50. They are not the same animal. Plenty of guys hunt with marginal weapons and limited range its just not something i do.

Paul L Mohr 08-11-2008 02:23 PM

Can it be done? Sure, would I advise it? Probably not. Just about any centerfire on the market will kill a deer if you use the proper bullet and put it in the vitals. Punctured lungs equal dead deer, every time. There might be some tracking to be done though. Don't think you are going to shoot one in the shoulder and drop it where it stands with a .223 though.

I would say a .223 would be a capable round in the hands of an experienced hunter, and it most cases (not all mind you) if you have to ask if it is ok for deer your probably not in that group. However if that is all you had to use until you get something a bit better I wouldn't tell you to stay out of the woods. Just know what your rifle is capable of and pick your shots wisely. Much like bowhunting, except at longer ranges.

Paul

Mojotex 08-11-2008 02:46 PM

Ditto, more or less, every one that has already answered. The 223 Rem. round will kill deer. In some states it is not legal because it is under 25 cal. I would not use nor will I recommend using the 223 Rem. for deer (unless I were in survival mode) even if itwas legal. Start at the 6mm Rem. - 243 Win. as the minimum.

wi_buckstomper 08-11-2008 04:15 PM

thnx for the help. The reason why im asking is here in wisconsin this year they are now opening my area 4 rifles for the first time. Im not planning to hunt with my .223 because i have a .243 but i was just curious.

forddeerslayer 08-11-2008 04:32 PM

LOL yep its always good to know what your arsenal is good for.

isatarak 08-11-2008 07:13 PM

Not a super long-range gun, but yes it will work on deer. It's what my girlfrined uses.

zrexpilot 08-11-2008 07:22 PM

ORIGINAL: skb2706

Anytime the question comes upit would seem the person asking the question considers all deer to be the same size. I can assure you they are not. A large buck here goes over 350 lbs. a small doe in TX goes less than 50. They are not the same animal. Plenty of guys hunt with marginal weapons and limited range its just not something i do.
I live in Texas and a small doe that goes 50 lbs is called yearling . LOL
But I agree size matters, here in Texas a .223 will work with complete broad side shots and the right bullet.
My friend owned one for one year and didnt like its performance on deer, I told him to change bullets but hegave up. He never lost one just didnt like the performance, no exits and no blood trails.
I told him to get a 7-08 and he did. He lost a pig the other night trying to head shoot it.
Bullet placement, bullet placement , bullet placement.