HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Mike McCabe's Bowhunting Tragedy (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/257098-mike-mccabes-bowhunting-tragedy.html)

Archer0545 08-11-2008 08:15 AM

Mike McCabe's Bowhunting Tragedy

I am putting this video on here at the request of Mike McCabe and his family so that it might make a difference in your approach to safety. It is a short video on what happened to Him this Spring in Saskatchewan while Filming a Bear hunt for Sportsman of North America. The video is about 5 minutes long and has a little footage from the accident as well as Mike telling the story after he was finally able to come home.
In the video Mike is very positive and makes it clear that he intends to keep bowhunting and was heading to Atlanta to start his physical therapy. Sadly, after reaching Atlanta he has had numerous medical setbacks and two operations since he has been there and continues to struggle. There is info at the end of the video as to how to donate to help with the astronomical medical costs. If you can help, please do so, if you can't please pass this information on to anyone who might be able to help. Achery Clubs, Hunting clubs that might be able to put together a fundraiser would be great places to start. Please keep this thread at the top as often as possible for a worthy cause. Remember "There but for the grace of God go I". Thank you for your time.
PS: If anyone is looking for another way to donate such as hunts to auction off or other gear please PM me and I will put you in touch with the appropriate people. Thanks again and please be careful this season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqfkK3h2jqM

>>>>~~~~Brian~~~~>

Western MA Hunter 08-11-2008 08:34 AM

RE: Mike McCabe's Bowhunting Tragedy

That will make you think twice before not using a safety harness

Mike Hill 08-11-2008 10:05 AM

Oh my god that poor guy!!!! I am sending up prayers. I can't imagine this happening to me Not just the medical part of it but no more hunting. Just shoot me and put me out of my misery

SteveBNy 08-11-2008 10:13 AM

How could a pro not use a harness?
A lesson for all here.
If you won't wear a harness for yourself, do it for those around you that will be burdened with your care oryour loss.
I hope he is able to make a full recovery.

Steve

sekoutdoors 08-11-2008 10:54 AM

Goes to show it can happen to any of us when we take safety for granted. I stopped the use of a tree stand after a non hunting accident cause spinal injury. Just dont want to chance eating out of a straw the rest of my life. I am thinking a ladder stand would be fairly safe, but still, it is a long way down!

Zim 08-11-2008 11:07 AM

I think about this every time out and try to talk myself into some serious ground blind hunting now. Others claim to be very successful at it.

BowHuntingAddict 08-11-2008 11:28 AM

All things considered, Mike is a lucky man to be alive. What a great positive outlook he has as well.

A safety harness is the most important piece of gear you can have.

DannyD 08-11-2008 12:35 PM

When i took up hunting (first in my family), my wife and kids requested that i not hunt out of a treestand. To this day i have honored that request. I know that a harness would prevent many of the accidents but i still hunt on the ground only.
I take a lot of crap sometimesfornot using a treestandand for not doing it just because they asked me not to,but thats how it's going to be for me

arrow2512 08-11-2008 05:04 PM

Prayers or sent out for you mike, hope you keep trying as hard as you can to get your leggs working for you again with the will of god it could happen some day. I sometime think when i;m up in a tree i don't realy need this saftybelt on all the time but then i start thinking sure the one time i don't have it on thats when something could go wrong so i keep it on .After seeing that video those thoughts will never cross my mine again.

wildchild04 08-11-2008 06:46 PM

He does have a very good attitude. I wish my father-in-law had half as much drive as he does!!

My Father in law broke his C4 in a car accident last year.

My prayers are with Mike.