HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Ohio deer hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/257054-ohio-deer-hunting.html)

mufan 08-10-2008 11:26 PM

Ohio deer hunting

Hi,
I live in huntington WV (go herd!) which is right on the border of Ohio. I am tired of shooting scrubby WV bucks and want to go hunting where the big boys are.

I don't have a clue where to start really. What are the best counties to hunt? Is there any good public hunting areas or other near the WV border? I would like to find something somewhat close to me.

AmateurHunter44857 08-10-2008 11:50 PM

RE: Ohio deer hunting

Wayne National Forest:)

mufan 10-11-2008 09:10 PM

I thought it was no hunting. At least I couldn't find it on the Ohio DNR website as public.

TristateHunter.com 10-12-2008 05:19 AM

heck yeah there is great public land..within a 40 minute drive! i live just across the river from ya.. do all my hunting in Gallia county you can hunt the crown city wild life area (11,171 acres) or ask any of the farmers along the river if you can hunt most of the time they will allow it as the deer get in there crops.

The Deer Destroyer 10-12-2008 04:24 PM

Tuscarawas county. That's where I'm from and hunt and for the past few years, we've led the state in deer kills. Also a great county for bucks. If your only looking for does, come here cause we got a ton of them.

Jasonlester 10-13-2008 06:13 AM

There are no bucks in Ohio...Ignore my avatar....LOL

Seriously though. There are some nice bucks in WV too. At least where I hunted in eastern WV. But since Ohio is close give it a try. It takes some work to find the big boys. Its won't be just as easy as starting to hunt in Ohio. Do your homework and scout the areas early.

newguy23 10-13-2008 06:22 PM

Wayne NATIONAL Forest is great! The best deer in Ohio can be found in South and East (and southeast) Ohio. As stated Wayne is a national forest, so it is not regulated by ODNR, you have to get a seperate hunting permit I beleive.

blackpowderfever 10-13-2008 07:45 PM

best thing to do is search the internet for the harvest report and locate the zones by deer killed

Foofer 10-13-2008 08:15 PM

Woodbury near Coshocton. Rumor has it that Bill Jordon has hunted there, and I know for a fact that a good friend shot a monster buck, called Cabelas and said, "I think I might have something you'll be interested in". I personally haven't hunted there, but wish Ihad. I lived just north of there for seven years and hunted a friends land; killed some big healthy deer too. I now liveminutes away from Dayton, and have almost zero opportunites for prime hunting land[:@]

If you don't want travel that far, others have mentioned Wayne National Forest just norh on St. Rt. 93. Also, there's Cooper Hollow near Jackson, County. Good luck.Remember, show pics if you smoke one.