HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Public land Treestand suggestions>>>> (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/256988-public-land-treestand-suggestions.html)

trkyhntr247 08-10-2008 04:50 PM

Public land Treestand suggestions>>>>

Public land Treestand suggestions>>>>
[hr]

Im lookin for some suggestions for a treestand for huntin public land. Im thinking of a climber but its gotta be lightweight and rock solid on the tree!! Im not crazy about heigths..
I thought of a lock on with climbing sticks and packing the climbing sticks in and out, I am concerned about going back and it dissapearing too.... Thanks.
[/align]

jdyer 08-10-2008 05:07 PM

RE: Public land Treestand suggestions>>>>

I got a Summit Viper last year for hunting on Louisiana public land. Aboslutely no complaints. It actually feels safer than any of the plywood platforms I grew up hunting on.

I quickly learned a few things: 1) ANY exposed metal will make noise. Go through a roll of camo tape if necesssary, but cover EVERYTHING. 2) A good supply of parachute cord will make life easier. You can raise and lower your gun, backpack, and whatever else you need.

early in 08-10-2008 05:08 PM

Do yourself a favor and get a LW sit and climb.;)

gmil6184 08-10-2008 05:10 PM

my family and I hunt on private land, but we had a real bad problem with trespassers sneaking on when we weren't there and stealing stands and climbing sticks. We started locking the stands on the tree with a pad lock, and using screw in tree stand steps. the trick is to take the bottom four steps in and out with you. that way unless someone has screw in steps with them, they wont be able to climb up to your stand to steal it, and even if they do there is a chain around the stand with a pad lock. This seemed to solve the problem of stuff disappearing (although we still have to throw ppl off all the time). I think most ppl who would steal stands are lazy by nature, and only tend to steal things if they can get to it easily. You did say you were going to be hunting public land so i would make sure screw in steps are allowed, they dont cause any lasting damage to the tree but i would still double check the regs.

Baybuzzard 08-10-2008 05:23 PM

Check into a tree saddle. You can wear it on your butt to the stand if you want, but I carry mine in a backpack. Highly mobile. Use Lone Wolf climbing sticks to get up tree.

TNHagies 08-10-2008 07:42 PM

ORIGINAL: early in

Do yourself a favor and get a LW sit and climb.;)
I agree!. I have a Summit Viper and sitting from sunup to sundown is no problem. I'm actually a little spoiled now. I grew up sitting on5gal buckets and the wet ground. Now it kinda feels like cheatin':D They will make some noise but not much. I just give myself extra time getting to my stand so that I can take my time in setting it up. Once I'm up there, it feels rock solid. I too am not a big fan of heights but I feel completly safe in that stand.

northeast_hunter 08-10-2008 07:56 PM

Lol, I have a summit viper too, best stand Ive ever had, easy to carry too.

reckling42 08-10-2008 10:41 PM

When i hunt on public land, its only by ground. I just carry an old milk crate with me, and just plop it down where im going to hunt that day. It also comes in handy, where if im not seeing any action at that spot, i just pick it up and move to the next.

BowHuntingAddict 08-11-2008 07:56 AM

Agreed. I have a Viper (among others) and love it. It goes on the tree quick, climbs easy, and feels solid when you are in it. It's not that heavy in comparison to other stands, so it's not back to pack in. I lost an Ol' Man climber to a thief with cable cutters on private land last year. That was my favorite stand. It had steel blades on it instead of teeth, and cut into the bark very well. No slipping, even on hardwood. The optional spreader arms made it very roomy. The mesh seat made it like sitting in a hammock, and was very comfortable. On cold days, your back-side could get a bit chilled, so a seat cushion was a nice addition. The Summit Viper is my new favorite though. For the money, I don't think you can go wrong with it.