Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Homemade Sent?

Old 08-10-2008, 09:56 AM

Default Homemade Sent?

I was just wandering if anyone had an idea or knows how to make a deer musk? My brother-in -law saved the nuts from his buck last year, and saw a show where the guy made a musk attractant with them, but now can't remember what the guy used. Any help?
Old 08-10-2008, 10:40 AM

Default RE: Homemade Sent?

that may be more complicated than you think. Especially from a health and safety viewpoint....anyhow, good luck, but be careful.
Old 08-10-2008, 01:12 PM
Fork Horn

turpentine and water mix smells like pine as a cover scent. very cheap to make as well.

bozeman
Old 08-10-2008, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use urine and tarsal glands I collect from kills (mine and others as well) to make my cover and attractant scents.

Works great for the "drag rag" technique and making mock scrapes.

Remove the urine from the bladder with a needle/syringe. Filter it through a "coffee filter" to remove any debris or clotted blood. Keep it in small bottle.... well marked !!! Freeze what you are not using. Remove the tarsal glands from the lower leg. I store 1 each in a HD zip lock bag. Freeze them until I use them. Rub the "oil" on an existing scrape, hang it close by, or make a "new scrape" by carefully dripping the urine across the tarsal into the area you have scratched up. Works as good and any thing I have tried. Learned this from my grand pa. Been doing it for 40+ years.