Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Rifled slugs in the smooth bore? >

Rifled slugs in the smooth bore?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Rifled slugs in the smooth bore?

Old 08-10-2008, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rifled slugs in the smooth bore?

Shooting rifles slugs out of a rifled barrel will not hurt the barrel, but it will lead up the grooves in the barrel.
Old 08-10-2008, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

My question is, why shoot rifle slugs out of a rifled barrel? Common sense tells me that if you shoot enough of these out of a rifled barrel it is eventually going to damage it.
Old 08-10-2008, 03:44 PM

The reasoning from the guy at work, shoots Sluggers in his 1100 with a rifled barrel, was:
1. Rifled slugs were plenty accurate out of his rifled barrel.
2. He doesn't shoot a but handfull or so a season.
3. They're cheap.
4. He cleans his barrel at the end of the season.
5. Why spend more when you don't need to.
Old 08-10-2008, 04:29 PM

It's not going to damage it as long as you clean it. It is no different than shooting lead bullets out of a muzzle loader, or a pistol or a rifle. Many hand gun ranges force you to use non jacketed bullets and .22 rimfires use all lead bullets. Lead is a fairly soft material and barrels are made of hardened steel. Rifles shoot copper jacketed bullets at much higher pressures without damaging the barrel and the copper alloy is harder than lead.

And don't believe that sabots don't foul out a barrel either, you still need to clean out all the plastic that will get in the grooves as well. I would say more rifles are ruined by improper cleaning than what was shot through them.

The saboted bullets biggest advantages are they have better ballistic coefficients and normally perform better on game than a large chunk of lead. It also lets you shoot a lighter projectile with more stability if you want to.
Old 08-10-2008, 05:24 PM

ORIGINAL: jrbsr

ORIGINAL: Dozen Arrows

I bought an 870 combo it comes with both the rifled barrel has twists in it and a smooth bore barrel for turkeys and small game. I am new in the world of shotguns.

My question is I bought some Remington slugger rifled slugs thinking that I should use them for my rifled barrel with twists in it. However, when I read the box on the slugs it tells me NOT to use them in a demascus or rifle twisted barrel.

Should I keep these and just use and use them in the smooth bore barrel that was desinged for small game?

I really do NOT want to have to spend $12 for a box of 5 rounds compared to the $4 that I paid for these.
Where did you buy the Remington slugger rifled slugs at ?
Maybe they would swap them for sabots.
Just an idea

I hope they will. Good Luck.
They might, but I will be only getting 2 boxes back for the 6 that I turn in, LOL. Awe heck, I am probably just going to do that and get the sabots. Two and a half boxes to sight in and three rounds to kill deer. Besides, I have the other barrel for fun stuff like skeet shooting and such, Good stuff
Old 08-10-2008, 07:24 PM
Typical Buck

I have been shooting rifled slugs out of a rifled barrel for about 10 years . My mother gave me something when I was a kid to help eliminate the lead buildup . It was a bucket of Elbow Grease !
Old 08-10-2008, 07:55 PM

"perform better than a large chunk of lead"??? I beg your pardon...

The last deer I hit with a large chunk of lead, a Federal rifled slug out of the riot gun,was at 25 yards running away. I hit the doe right in the back of the neck, the large chunk of lead flipped that deer over like a flapjack.

But, outbeyond70 yards or sothe sabots definitelyhave the edge in ballistic performance.

Bugs.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Ed McDonald

I have been shooting rifled slugs out of a rifled barrel for about 10 years . My mother gave me something when I was a kid to help eliminate the lead buildup . It was a bucket of Elbow Grease !

Thats right! I've been doing it for 26 years. My lasttwo shotgundeerwere taken with my 1187 and a cantilever rifled barrel with a Nikon scope. 125 yards and 127 yards with the $1.99 a box Remington Sluggers.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:21 PM

sjsfir,

Day-amm... 125 and 127 yards!!! That's some shootin'. What did the recovered slugs look like?

Bugs.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:45 PM

ORIGINAL: Ed McDonald

LOL! I am diggin' the avatar DRILL INSTRUCTOR!

Quick Reply: Rifled slugs in the smooth bore?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.