HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Hunting Binocs (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/256804-hunting-binocs.html)

Test81 08-09-2008 09:17 AM

Hunting Binocs

I am in the market for a pair of binocs used mainly in wooded terrain and occasional open fields roughly 400yrds or so. I have been doin some reading and picked a few that I think will do what I need. Please give me opinions if you can.

Since in the woods I am thinking about an 8x42 rather than the 10x42. I am looking to spend between 300-400 on this pair.

The 2 that I really have noticed are the Nikon Monarch ATB 8x42 and Leupold Mojave 8x42. Anyone use either of these two models and have any info???
[align=right][/align]

drdi 08-09-2008 11:07 AM

RE: Hunting Binocs

ORIGINAL: Test81

I am in the market for a pair of binocs used mainly in wooded terrain and occasional open fields roughly 400yrds or so. I have been doin some reading and picked a few that I think will do what I need. Please give me opinions if you can.

Since in the woods I am thinking about an 8x42 rather than the 10x42. I am looking to spend between 300-400 on this pair.

The 2 that I really have noticed are the Nikon Monarch ATB 8x42 and Leupold Mojave 8x42. Anyone use either of these two models and have any info???
I've used a pair of Nikon Monarch 8X42's for about 5 years. I've been VERY happy with them. :D

Remnard 08-09-2008 04:39 PM

I don't know how old you are, but trust me the 10x42 are not too powerful, and they focus right dow, I have the monarch atb's also and I love them. my buddy has some8 power steiners and i think he wishes he went stronger

ropadop 08-09-2008 06:22 PM

++1 for Nikon Monarch ATB 8x42. Perfect size, weight, magnification, and good in low light. I love these for bowhunting. I even use them for 3D.

nchawkeye 08-09-2008 06:29 PM

+3 For the Nikons ATBs...I've had mine 3 years now...

gmil6184 08-10-2008 06:32 AM

I just got the nikon monarch dream season 8x36. Haven't had a chance to use them hunting yet but they have impressed me so far. They are nice and compact but still plenty bright and clear. I got them primarily for bow hunting in wooded areas, so i didn't feel i needed bigger objectives or more magnification. Check around online, you can buy reconditioned binos (nikon does reconditioning and guarantees it) for very cheap. I got mine off ebay and i think i paid $160 for them, they retail at over $300.

MoNoFletch 08-10-2008 08:13 AM

I bought the Vortex Diamondbacks10X40 online for $149 with the nice harness. They have the BaK4 prisms like the "high end" glasses...fully coated lenses. Comes with a hard case too. VIP Waranty can't be beat!!!

I bought these for my trip to Alaska and several people with top of the line glass couldn't believe how nice they were.

bozeman 08-10-2008 01:16 PM

Another vote for the ATB's. I have a pair of 8X42's for about 4 years now and love them.

bozeman

Hurricanespg 08-10-2008 02:30 PM

The Nikon Monarch ATB's are one of the best buys out there for the mid/low priced bino's. I do not have any experience with the Leupold Mojaves, but you might take a look at the Leupold Cascades. I have a pair in 10x42 and I would rate them as good as the Nikon Monarchs.

Test81 08-11-2008 09:02 AM

thanks everyone for your thoughts. I shoot quite alot of 3D and you are not allowed anything over an 8x. I tried the atbs out this weekend at a shoot and they seemed to work perfect for what I need. I am looking online right now to pick a pair up.

Do you go to Nikon's site to find a reconditioned supplier???