HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Any Iowa hunters out there? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/256755-any-iowa-hunters-out-there.html)

arod42 08-08-2008 08:35 PM

Any Iowa hunters out there?

Hey guys,

I am new to Iowa and they say that there i big bucks here. I am just an average joe with a passion for big bucks. I have a wife and a 4 month old son, so I wont have a bunch of time to hunt. I am will to spend a little money to hunt private land if anyone lives near Newton, IA. I hope that someone can help.

bugs11 08-08-2008 09:16 PM

RE: Any Iowa hunters out there?

Welcome to Iowa, unfortunately you've been horribly misinformed. Their ain't any huge, monster bucks in Iowa... that's all a myth, a pipe dream foisted on the masses by Field and Stream and their ilk to hawk poorly written hunting articles.

Save your money, ask around where you work, at church, new friends. Their are tons of places to hunt public land. Many state and county parks have doe only hunts, a great and easy way to stock the freezer.

(Just between you and me, the owner of an 80 timber I bow hunt called today. He's got pictures of dandy 8 and a even nicer 10 on the camera.)

Bugs.

Robert L E 08-08-2008 11:18 PM

Bugs is right......there are no big bucks in Iowa. Those people who publish the record books are just hacks from the chamber of commerce who want to attract tourism (hunting) dollars.

Seriously though- Try to make friends with your neighbors and at work. By going fishing or small game hunting you may over time be invited deer hunting. I have found that deer hunting groups are kind of like closed circles and it helps to be born into them (just ask my sons and my buddy's son). I have also known those who marry into a deer hunting group. People do get in though through friendship though.

If you want to go it on your own The "Iowa Sportsman's Atlas" has maps of the entire state, dirt roads an all public areas included. If you are hunting does, permission can sometimes be obtained by knocking on doors. Start early by asking to fish in a pond then perhaps at a later time fit deer hunting into a conversation. It can be done, most residents do not spend a lot on deer hunting (in terms of access fees).

Bob

P.S. Outside of the regular gun seasons may offer better opportunities to a newly arrived hunter. i.e.- bow, muzzleloader, or late antlerless gun season

bugs11 08-09-2008 11:15 AM

Arod,

Robert has the right idea. I believe your best chances at a big buck are during bow season. Be careful it you hunt the shotgun seasons, some of the timbers turn into war zones. Drivers push deer towards standers and there is a lot of shooting. You should really look at some of the controlled hunts that go on in the state and county parks. Get to know the park rangers, they might turn you onto some hunting oppurtunities. Iowa is pretty liberal with the doe licenses. I love the late season muzzle loading season.

Bugs.