HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   1 inch or 30mm tube?? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/256418-1-inch-30mm-tube.html)

Daybreak 08-06-2008 03:21 PM

1 inch or 30mm tube??

Is there a big up-side to a 30mm tube over the 1 inch on a Leupold VX-III.

Is the 30mm worth the extra cost for the extra low light performance??....or just stick with the 1 inch??

timbercruiser 08-06-2008 04:18 PM

RE: 1 inch or 30mm tube??

No, you probably couldn't tell the difference in the two althought there would be more room for adjustment. Buying a Zeiss or other higher quality lens and coating scope you would be able to tell the difference. Welcome to the board.

bigbulls 08-06-2008 08:27 PM

There are few American scopes that use 30mm glass in a 30mm tube. Most just use 1" glass and offer you more range of adjustment. Unless you are one to make in-the-field scope adjustments a 30mm tube isn't going to gain you anything.

If you want true light transmitting performance from a 30mm scope then you are likely going to have to get a European 30mm scope. Such as Zeiss (not conquest), Swarovski, Kahles, etc...

The one thing that a 30mm tube has over a 1" tube is strength. No matter what glass is inside a 30mm tube will be considerably stronger than a 1" tube of the same construction.

Daybreak 08-06-2008 08:39 PM

Thanks guys!! Thats kinda what I was thinking too but wanted a few other opinions.

I am considering either a Zeiss Conquest 4-14x44 or a leupold Vari-x III 4-14x40. Any comments or reccomendations on these choices??

I have 3 Leupolds now and love them. I am setting up my new gun....a T/C Pro Hunter 300Win Mag...and have been told by a few others that I would like the Zeiss better? Thoughts?? Opinions??

Thanks again guys!!

millagerobert 08-07-2008 10:28 AM

With my 30 mm scopes I have found it is harder to find rings at local gun shops, I usually have to order online since most small stores just stock rings for 1 inch scopes. I do like the extra field of view and brightness that I seem to obtain from the larger tube size of the 30mm scopes. It does add extra weight however. The Burris Euro diamond I use on my elk rifle is a heck of a nice scope, and at $550 for the 3x12 with ballistic plex it doesn't break the bank like the Zeiss and Swarovski. Check them out, I have yet to be disappointed by Burris.

Remnard 08-07-2008 07:52 PM

ORIGINAL: Daybreak

Thanks guys!! Thats kinda what I was thinking too but wanted a few other opinions.

I am considering either a Zeiss Conquest 4-14x44 or a leupold Vari-x III 4-14x40. Any comments or reccomendations on these choices??

I have 3 Leupolds now and love them. I am setting up my new gun....a T/C Pro Hunter 300Win Mag...and have been told by a few others that I would like the Zeiss better? Thoughts?? Opinions??

Thanks again guys!!
i love leupold scopes but i have seen both and the conquest series in the 1" is better than the leupold in 30mm in mo

Paul L Mohr 08-08-2008 10:44 AM

Not worth the money in my opinion especially considering the customer service that brand offers. I doubt you would notice a visual difference between the two, and while the 30mm would be stronger the one inch would be plenty strong enough and if it wasn't Leupold would stand behind it 100 percent.

Paul

Icetrey 08-08-2008 11:10 AM

My dad has the Leupold VX-III with the 1 inch tube on a Rem 700 7mmMag.
I love that scope. You can see great right at dusk and dawn. I dont know how different it would be with 30mm, but 1 inch works great!!!