HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   What Scope Do Yall Like Better ? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/256334-what-scope-do-yall-like-better.html)

jrbsr 08-06-2008 08:02 AM

What Scope Do Yall Like Better ?

Simmons Whitetail Classic Rifle Scope 6.5-20x 50mm Adjustable Objective Truplex Reticle Matte

Enlarge

Video [/align]

Product #: 746570
Our Price: $109.99Sale!
Compare at: $249.99You save $140.00!
Sale Expires: Aug. 31, 2008

Should Ship Today

And what do you think of this ?

timbercruiser 08-06-2008 11:45 AM

RE: What Scope Do Yall Like Better ?

Please save a little more money and get a better quality scope. I had a Simmons Whitetail Classic scope a few years ago, hunted with it a few times, and sold it to a guy for $25, and felt sorry for him.......

nchawkeye 08-06-2008 11:56 AM

I prefer...Leupolds...:D

About 8 years ago I was hunting a cut corn field from a ground blind with a buddy...We had the decoy out and were grunting and rattling, just having a grand time...

Well, the buck showed...About20 minutes after sundown, the only problem was, he couldn't see the 8 pointer through his scope that had stepped out of the woods about 125 yards away...I handed him my rifle and said, go ahead, take the shot...He was stunned when he could clearly see the deer through my Leupold...

Well, he suprised me...He handed my rifle back and said, you kill him...I'm left handed and you are right handed, better not take the chance that your gun is sighted in for me...

Within a week, his gun had a Leupold...:D

MichaelT. 08-06-2008 12:06 PM

I personally would not get that Simmons. It is a cheaper scope, that is not the quality one might think it is. I too would opt for something a bit better...

for instance....

ProStaff 3-9x40, Nikoplex, Matte

$133.00

More Info

Buckmaster 4.5-14x40, SF, Nikoplex, Matte

$269.00

More Info

Burris 3-9x40 Fullfield II Rifle Scope

[ul][*]Gloss[*]Plex[*]1"[*]Hunter Knobs [/ul]
SWFA:
$189.95[/b]

Pentax 4-16x50 Gameseeker Rifle Scope

[ul][*]Matte[*]Precision Plex[*]1" [/ul]
SWFA:
$114.95[/b]

Not a big fan of the Pentax Gameseeker, but I would take it over a cheap Simmons anyday.

CRF04P

New Vortex 4-12x40 Crossfire Rifle Scope

[ul][*]Matte[*]V-Plex[*]1" [/ul]
SWFA:
$119.95[/b]

I have not used the Vortex, but I have heard some good things about them.

There are others out there, so I would look at these ( linked above ) and look around the sites to see if you can find something you like better or that would serve you better.

MET

Paul L Mohr 08-06-2008 02:31 PM

I don't understand the question, you only listed one scope?

What are going to use it for? Plinking on a .22/.17 or varmint hunting on a centerfire, or deer hunting.

If it's for a .22 it will be ok, but you could get better. If it's for varmint hunting I would save some money and get something better. A scope with those features and magnification for $100 isn't a very good bargain in my opinion, just a cheap scope. A decent scope with those specs is going to be in the $300 to $400 range and good scope is going to be closer to $600. In order to get the price down that low they had to cut corners somewhere, and it will be in the optics and quality control. just go to a store and pick two 20 power scopes, turn them all the way up and look at something far away. Pick one cheap scope and the other a quality scope in the 250-300 dollar range. If you don't see a difference in optical quality you should see about getting your eyes checked;).

Now if you are talking about putting that on a deer gun, that is waaay too much scope unless you are shooting them at 600 yards or something, and then you will need a much better scope. For deer look at scope closer to 2-7x32 or 40 or the old stand by 3-9. Even a fixed power 2.5 or 4 power will work well if your not shooting very far. The lower magnification will let the scope seem brigther and more clear, plus keep price down. You can get some pretty decent low power variable hunting scopes for 100-200 dollars. Skip all the bells and whistles like illumated reticles, Ranging reticles and parallax adjustment. You don't need them and they will either increase the price or decrease the quality. Worry more about optics and coatings.

For a liitle more money you could get a Nikon Pro Staff or Bushnell Legend in 2-7 power and it would be a MUCH better scope optics wise. Jump up to the $200 dollar mark and there are many more options that are really good scopes as long as you keep the power and objective lens conservative.

You really owe it to yourself to go to a store that has lots of stock and look through some different scopes. I would never buy a scope mail order unless it is a model I have already owned, and then I would still really like to look through it first. I have a mueller I am pretty happy with as well, they make a decent scope for a decent price. I got mine at Gander Mountain.

Paul

superstrutter 08-06-2008 04:51 PM

If you want a Simmons, get the Aetec 4-14x44. It will be around $200.00. If it is for a .22, then you don't need to spend very much to do the job. As I have said many times, you don't need a $600 plus scope to get the job done. What scope do ya'll like better? I also didn't see two scopes you were comparing.

jrbsr 08-06-2008 06:32 PM

ORIGINAL: superstrutter

If you want a Simmons, get the Aetec 4-14x44. It will be around $200.00. If it is for a .22, then you don't need to spend very much to do the job. As I have said many times, you don't need a $600 plus scope to get the job done. What scope do ya'll like better? I also didn't see two scopes you were comparing.
I was thinking of one of these Bushnell scopes.
It would be for a 308 cal.

2-7 x 32mm 75-2732M
A great choice when hunting at shorter ranges. 2x power delivers a bright image with an extra-wide field of view for hunting thick brush, deep woods – or dangerous game.
Reticle: Multi-X®
Finish: Matte

3-9 x 40mm 75-3940M
The perfect all-round deer and big-game riflescope. Versatile for optimum performance at all normal hunting distances. Fast-focus eyepiece and a wide angle field-of-view for rapid target acquisition.

3-9 x 50mm 75-3950M
The ideal deer and big-game riflescope when maximum light-gathering capability is required.

4-12 x 40mm 75-4124M
An excellent long-range hunting scope for big-game, varmint and target shooting.

5-15 x 40mm 75-5154M
A great long-range scope for varmint, target or bean-field hunting. Features an adjustable objective lens and a wide range of zoom magnification.
Reticle: Mil Dot

superstrutter 08-06-2008 06:47 PM

If you do get a Bushnell, get one from the Elite series. If you choose a Simmons, get the Aetec or the 44 Mag.

nchawkeye 08-06-2008 06:53 PM

I just noticed that I forgot to post what my buddy had on his rifle the night he missed out on that
8 pointer I shot...Simmons Aetec...

If I planned to go with something around $200...It would be the Nikon Prostaff 3x9x40...
You do not need more than 9 power to hunt whitetails...

superstrutter 08-06-2008 08:34 PM

Could it have been human error and not the scope? The Nikon prostaff is no better than a Simmons Aetec.