Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

BOW HUNTING QUESTIONS!!!

Old 08-05-2008, 02:20 PM

Default RE: BOW HUNTING QUESTIONS!!!

Fixed blade Muzzy 100's are the best fixed blade broadheads on the market. Mechanical's are not bone worthy and will fail you on quartering away shots or quartering too shots(if you take it). The lessmoving parts on a bow or a broadhead is better. Bowhunting is about less room for error in my opinion cause you don't have room for any errors . Lessen your variables and you will be a more successful hunter. Good LUck!

Fixed blade broadheads, fixed2 pin sight (20 & 30 yards), start off with XX75 aluminum arrows, TM hunter arrow rest, standard string peep system.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:46 PM
Fork Horn

Guy's I am 13 as you know already and I am getting a bow today(PSE)and I was wandering about some stuff so here's afew questions for a beginner.
1.Stand or blind?

I have been hunting for a lot of years and I hunt on the ground with a rolled up pice of camo fabric that I use a s a portable blind. I have taken a lot of deer on the ground and have had them close enough to swat on the backside with an arrow. Scent control and wind direction are very important.

2.How far will I be able to kill a deer with a 40 lb. draw weight.

IMHO the real question is how far you can shoot accurately with the best broadhead for your setup. By the time you get to the hunting season you may find that the poundage you are shooting has increased, and you will probably have foundyour comfort level for distance.

3.Mechanical broad head or what?

IMHO you have to little Kinetic energy for a mechanical broadhead. Some great reading and unbiased broadhead tests can be found at:
http://thearchersedge.net/speak.html

4.What sounds better,my granmas land 5 acres of wood's 15 acres ofopen with a pond but it's by a highway,but I have been seeing a doe with her fawn around their,or LOTS!!!!of woods open fields!!!!!water good grass but it's my neighbors and I am not sure if he will let me hunt their,and last but not least,25 acres of wood's with other timber in spot's water field and thats where i also rifle hunt,but the guy rented it off and I am not sure if the guy renting it will let me hunt.

Being 13 you are going to be limited to walking or riding a bikefor transportation if you are hunting alone. The obvious answer is where the deer are. Get on your bike and do some riding in the early AM and evening. Google earth is a great tool for looking at the landscape and identifying hunting areas. If you are going to hunt alone let your parents know where you are going and when you will be back and stick to it, no matter what. If you shoot a deer or something you can always go back and get it later.

5.My neighbor is just 50 yrds. away and I was wandering if I ask do I call or ask in person?That's kind of a dumb stupid question but what would yall do?

Always ask in person and it helps to dress nicely in an ideal world apperance shouldn't matter, but in reality it does

A couple of other comments:

1. Welcome to the sport. It is an awesome way to spend your time.
2. Get some good books to read. There is a lot of information available today. You can check out books at the local library, or buy them. A couple I would recommend are:
Mapping Trophy Bucks by Brad Herndon
Whitail Hunting Tactics of the pros by Lamar Underwood
Hunting Trophy Whitetails in the Real World by Don Higgins is also supposed to be good but I have not read it, yet
3. Here are some other websites that have some info that you might find helpful:

http://www.kerrlake.com/deer/index.htm

http://pursuithunting.blogspot.com/2007/08/dominant-tree-part-1-definition.html

Bob
Old 08-06-2008, 12:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ok guy's thank's I think I am getting my bow today!!!!!!
How many blades should their be on my broadhead2-3 or more?
Old 08-06-2008, 12:45 PM

If I were you, with a 40 pound draw weight I would go with Magnus Stinger 2 blade heads with the bleeder blades. They are regular 2 blades with 2 other small blades for extra cutting for more blood. They fly just like a fieldpoint, are razor sharp, and pretty much undestructable. If you happen to break one magnus will replace it free! I shot these heads last year and love them, but never killed a deer with them. Ive heard nothing but good about them.
Even With your 40 pound draw weight, they will penetrate more than enough.

Old 08-06-2008, 01:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Hunting Kuk

Guy's I am 13 as you know already and I am getting a bow today(PSE)and I was wandering about some stuff so here's afew questions for a beginner.
1.Stand or blind?
2.How far will I be able to kill a deer with a 40 lb. draw weight.
3.Mechanical broad head or what?
4.What sounds better,my granmas land 5 acres of wood's 15 acres ofopen with a pond but it's by a highway,but I have been seeing a doe with her fawn around their,or LOTS!!!!of woods open fields!!!!!water good grass but it's my neighbors and I am not sure if he will let me hunt their,and last but not least,25 acres of wood's with other timber in spot's water field and thats where i also rifle hunt,but the guy rented it off and I am not sure if the guy renting it will let me hunt.
5.My neighbor is just 50 yrds. away and I was wandering if I ask do I call or ask in person?That's kind of a dumb stupid question but what would yall do?
as you can see, lots of opinions, the best answers: it all depends!

1) Stand or blind? Yes!! Either one works, both have plus/minus. Is the land you are hunting on got good trees for a stand? All things being equal, a stand has more advantages, but are you comfortable in a tree? Can you get it hung? If you do go to a stand WEAR A FULL RESTRAINT SAFETY HARNESS!!

2) More a factor of how far away you can hit a 5 inch circle ALL THE TIME, with broadheads. The bow is more capable than you! (No offense). Most bow shots at whitetails, especially out of a stand, are inside 20 yards. I would recommend you start at 20 and get deadly accurate there.

3) I would suggest no on mechanicals, at 40 lbs you will not be shooting close to high speeds and will probably be a lighter arrow. Will a mechanical work? Sure. Will a fixed blade work? absolutely. I suggest a 3 blade cut on contract head, or something with bleeders like a Stinger 4-blade.

4) Where ever you see the deer! Hunting where there are no deer gets boring. The highway won't bother the deer, they deal with it every day.

5) In person is ALWAYS better. make yourself presentable, be polite and ask permission.

Old 08-06-2008, 01:03 PM

ORIGINAL: davidmil

You're way under powered for mechanicals. Don't even think about it. Cut on contact only for you.
X'S 2
Old 08-06-2008, 01:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

You've already got some good info here.

Just a another tidbit of info. that will save you a lot of grief...
Make sure you clear shooting lanes and do not deviate from where you want to shoot, even if the deer will pass.
If you haven't spooked the deer, they will be back.
To many people think they can thread the arrow "between" branches and such and unwillingly wound deer. Good hunting ethics need to be your priority!
* Way to much happens in the moment of truth, and trust me, you will not see that tiny branch between you and the deer, especially at low light conditions.

Remember deer tend to meander through the woods and browse on leaves, acorns, etc... They magically seem to "never appear" exactly were you planned to shoot at them.
So I recommend a few shooting lanes 18-24" wide as far out as you can shoot, which as you stated "you are a beginner", so I would suggest 20 yards max and build up distances as you have more practice and experience under your belt.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:02 PM
Spike

certainly shouldn't be tried over 30yrds...i'd stick with a fixed blade, like the Montec g5. may i open another can of worms...with a lighter poundage, should the broadhead grain be heavier or lighter?? any thoughts?
Old 08-06-2008, 03:24 PM

it shouldnt matter lawson0207.
Just whatever weight it tunes best with.
I believe the overall arrow should be heavier though, for better penetration with a lighter bow
Old 08-06-2008, 03:41 PM

Fixed Blade only, but don't just run with a 100 gr. head. Try some 85 gr. and see how they fly.

In a stand.

Only you know the pieces of land in question, you have to make that call.

Be sure to wear a good safety harness.... you only have one life.

MET

Quick Reply: BOW HUNTING QUESTIONS!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.