Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Sick Buck Picture?

Old 08-05-2008, 10:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Sick Buck Picture?

ORIGINAL: kry226

I think I am going to break ranks (as usual) and say that this deer may simply be beginning the transition from the summer coat to the winter coat. While he may be a couple of weeks early, we should start seeing more of this in the coming weeks and months.
My feelings exactly.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Winter coat coming in?
Old 08-05-2008, 01:14 PM

ORIGINAL: Siman08/OH

Winter coat coming in?
Yep. It ain't the cold weather that brings it on.Changes inmembers of thedeer woods tend to be regulated more by the varying amount of sunlight each day, versus weather. It's what brings on the rut in deer (days getting shorter)and causes Toms to start gobbling/hens nesting (days getting longer). I'm sure it causes the change in coats in deer as well.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:28 PM
Fork Horn

Not the best quality picture, but it sure looks to me like a deer that is beginning to shed 1 coat for another.

Up here in Wisconsin, I see deer change from Summer red to fall brown all the time. For a time they can appear pretty ugly, but it is nothing to worrry about.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:05 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: kry226

I think I am going to break ranks (as usual) and say that this deer may simply be beginning the transition from the summer coat to the winter coat. While he may be a couple of weeks early, we should start seeing more of this in the coming weeks and months.
From what I can tell in the pic I would have to agree with you. I've shot a couple early season deer that looked like that and it was just the transition from summer to winter coat.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:17 PM

We have exotic lice up here that are causing deer to lose hair and die in the winter.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:13 PM
Typical Buck

Man it look like he's still wearing last years battle wounds. lol
Old 08-05-2008, 05:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

Back is too straight to be an old deer. I would guess shedding summer coat and old scars, could have been an almost caught by coyotes or something, or some kind of skin disease.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:41 PM

no some deer get like this in the summer i had a pic of a huge buck last year that looked like that when we killed it it was fine
Old 08-05-2008, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator

I've arrowed a few in september/october that looked a little like that..so possibly just a winter coat coming in.

Quick Reply: Sick Buck Picture?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.