Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What do Yall Think Of 338 ?

Old 08-05-2008, 09:57 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What do Yall Think Of 338 ?

ORIGINAL: AmateurHunter44857

What is with everyone's fascination with hunting whitetail with these very large rounds? It's a deer, not a re-enforced concrete bunker. If your using the same rifle to hunt elk, moose,bear etc i can understand, but it's def. overkill for a deer. Some people would probably use a tank if it were legal and they could buy one[8D]
Naa. Fuel would cost too much
Old 08-05-2008, 10:00 AM
Fork Horn

a couple of questions 1) define overkill. Is there such a thing as being too dead. 2) How is it too big if the exit wounds are typically smaller than a 270, 308, or 30-06 on whitetails.

Just trying to understand your thinking. I could understand the recoil being too much, or the gun is just too heavy.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:00 AM
Fork Horn

WELL, if you ever where limited to just one gun to do it all, the choice would have to be .338 WM. You can always tone it down a few grains and reduce the recoil for whitetail etc. With good premium bullets, Partitions, X-Bullets etc I wouldn't be afraid to take on anything that walks in North America, including those big ole' coastal grizz's.. Mine isa Browning Stainless Stalker, 3X9 Leupold..just about all I'd ever need..
Old 08-05-2008, 10:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Afew back after arriving at deer camp in Maine, I discovered the scope mounts on my .44 mag were lose.
After resetting them I was still not confident using it.
I had the opportunity to use my buddy's .338 on Opening Day.

I saw a nice 8 pointer slowly walking to me in very thick cover.
After a short time I was able to get a good shot and dropped him where he stood at about 25 yds.

I felt the same as if I used my .44 because I have never had a deer take another step.
Plus the damage to the deer did not seem any different from using the .44 when he was butchered.

I was happy the deer diedinstantly and there was no blood trail to follow after a wounded deer.
That day in the woods was my only time usinga .338 and I was vey satisfied with the results.

Old 08-05-2008, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not sure I can give you the definition you want for overkill, but how about...an excess of what is required or suitable, as because of zeal or misjudgment.
I have never seen an entrance or an exit wound from a 338 win mag or federalsmaller than a 270, 308, or 30-06. After all the 338 is shooting a bigger diameter bullet, and you personally are shooting (Hornady SST's) a violently expanding bullet. I just don't see how it could happen.
Either way shoot what you want.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:51 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Hurricanespg

Not sure I can give you the definition you want for overkill, but how about...an excess of what is required or suitable, as because of zeal or misjudgment.
I have never seen an entrance or an exit wound from a 338 win mag or federalsmaller than a 270, 308, or 30-06. After all the 338 is shooting a bigger diameter bullet, and you personally are shooting (Hornady SST's) a violently expanding bullet. I just don't see how it could happen.
Either way shoot what you want.
Yeah, we all shoot what we want, I just like to get opinions.

The deal with the smaller exit wound has to do with the fact that the bullet does not expand as much due to its greater density. When I shot an 06 with 150 and 165gr Noslers most of the exit wounds were anywhere from golfball to baseball size. With the 338 Win Mag they are ussually about the size of a quarter or half dollar in a deer sized animal. I don't know about a larger animal such as an elk, but I hope to find out soon.

The heavier bullets have a greater density and require more speed and time in the animal to expand. Thats why they work well in thicker bodied game. In small animals, like deer, the bullet doesn't have a chance to expand as much, but causes enough hydrostatic shock to get the job done quick.

I like knowing that no matter what angle I shoot the deer at I'm getting a pass through. Where as with an 06 or 270 I could not say that.

Honestly though I'm looking at going to an 06 just because of the $$ of rounds at the range and recoil from rounds at the range. I still love it for a deer gun though

Old 08-06-2008, 04:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Personally, I think it is overkill for most anything.
x2, larger calibers should not compensate forpoor accuracy
Old 08-06-2008, 07:27 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: CamoCop

Personally, I think it is overkill for most anything.
I just wanted to know what every one thought of the 338.

Thank You for the replies.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:09 AM
Typical Buck

People are complaining about the size of the exit wound on the deer and saying that its not "suitable" for deer because its too big. Here's my perspective. I used to hunt in kentucky with my ex's father, brother,and uncles. I had a 243, the first uncle used a 30-30, the second uncle used 30-06, Third uncle used a 45-70 because he had live outwest prior and liked his rifle so much he didn't want to get rid of it, her brother used 300 win and her father varied between his 06 and the 338. Now, these are northern kentucky deer so they're good sized whitetails but by no means huge. I shot several and had to track em all down. The guy with the 30-30 was a pretty good shot but he didn't understand the effective range of his weapon and gut shot a monster and then put two more in him and he still ran. The guy with the 45-70 blew the front half of the deer off on one occassion. The 338 did a pretty decent number on 150 class 12 point from 400 yards away. The 06 and 300 win also more than proved their worth. The point of my story is that dead is dead. If you're looking for something that would be adaquate for all north american game then from what i've heard and seen the 338 would be a pretty good bet.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:16 AM
Fork Horn

[/quote]

[/quote]

Never said that it should. If you have not practiced and do not know your rifle you should not be in the woods with it regardless of caliber.

I just like the penetrating power. My last buck I shot quartering towards me. Put the crosshairs right on the front corner of the shoulder, took out heart lungs, and got a good exit. Placed the bullet right where I wanted to, and my confidence in the penetrating power of the 338 Win Mag made it an ethical shot for me because I knew I would get a good pass through and blood trail if needed. (which it wasn't)

Quick Reply: What do Yall Think Of 338 ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.