HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Got the Muzzleloader sighted in! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/255651-got-muzzleloader-sighted.html)

BOWHUNTINGisLIFE 08-01-2008 10:03 PM

Got the Muzzleloader sighted in!

Last year i missed a 140-150 class 8 point at 167 yards. He made it through deer season last year and i am going after him hard during the youth hunt this year. i got a new scope for my CVA Optima and took it to the range and got it shooting great.

100 yards= 3 inches high
150 yards= 1 inch low
200 yards= 10 inches low

i am really hoping to get another chance at him this year!

pahunter60 08-01-2008 10:07 PM

RE: Got the Muzzleloader sighted in!

nice i hope you get, im 15 and im chasin a big 10 pointer i saw in the field by my cabin, haha i was so mad because we were up there fishing.....i wish it deer season already :D

Hurricanespg 08-01-2008 10:08 PM

Good luck, hope you get him.

BOWHUNTINGisLIFE 08-01-2008 10:16 PM

i forgot to tell u i have been chasing him for 3 years know. The first year there were 2 but one got shot and scored 130 then last year i missed him and this year he is hangin around with a real wode 8 point that i would not mined getting as well.

But Thanks

IL-Cornfed 08-02-2008 12:18 PM

You are a Youth hunter and you're talking about making, or even attempting,200 yard shot at a whitetail ?!? [:-]

Perhaps you should remeber that it's all a bit different when you're shooting at a LIVE target and not punching paper from a benchrest. Please use extreme caution when selecting shots? Good luck and good shootin'

Paul L Mohr 08-02-2008 12:36 PM

What sort of groups are you getting at 200 yards? And if I may ask with what load like what type and amount of powder with what bullet. My Remington shoots great at 100 yards and ok out to 150 but I don't think I would attempt a 200 yard shot with it without knowing exactly what sort of consistent groups I could get with it at that distance and exactly where the bullets would impact.

Then again my limit for accuracy at a given distance is 3 inches, meaning that if at a particular distance I can't hold a 3 inch 3 shot group I won't shoot at game beyond that distance. And I have noticed with muzzle loaders and shotguns the accuracy really starts to fall off fast as distance increases. You can't hold to the MOA rule like you can with some centerfires. Don't just assume that because you can shoot 1 inch groups at 100 yards you will shoot 2 inch groups at 200 yards. It may be more like 8 inch groups or bigger. Not always, but you have to actually check your gun at that distance to see how it actually performs.

Not saying you didn't, just throwing that out there is all.

Paul

BOWHUNTINGisLIFE 08-02-2008 09:29 PM

i shoot two pellets of 777 FF with a 250 grain Hordany SST

I am getting 2 inch groups at 100and about 4 inch at 200

Ani would not take a shot at 200 yards un less i had the perfect rest and no wind. An could settle in good.