Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

passed a deer......?

Old 08-02-2008, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: passed a deer......?

It's ALWAYS a smart move to pass ALL immature animals. I never understood how folks could complain that they didn't have any trophy bucks when they dump the first yearling bascket-racked buck that stands in front of them. I promise the rewards are great for your sacrifice. Best of luck to ya and THANKS for being more disciplined than some MUCH older forum members here.

Old 08-02-2008, 12:39 PM

You passed a deer? Wow! I have taken some huge craps but I can't imagine dropping a deer, that has got to be some sort of record. Your butt must really hurt.

Oh, I bet you mean you passed on a deer.

Nothing wrong with being selective if you want to.

Paul
Old 08-02-2008, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

Your choice of course. Have you got a deer already?
Old 08-02-2008, 01:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have passed on hundred of deer,and I will continue to do so.If you don't really want it,don't shoot it.
Old 08-02-2008, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm guilty of shootin small deer sometimes. Last year I shot a little ol bity 6point. Wasn't much to the hunt. I was walking around my grandmother's lake property, looked up the road and he was staring at me. Iscoped him for about 15 seconds and he still just stared. Scoped him again, then got tired of him lookin at me so I dropped him. Whether or not I pass on a buckalso depends on what property I'm hunting. We have 3 tracts that I deer hunt each year. One is my main property that I try and do my best to manage and pass on smaller deer. It's 300 acres, not huge compared to some places, but I feel like I can make an impact on the herd by passing smaller bucks and taking out does. The other two placesI shoot whats legal because they are smaller tractsmaking themnear impossibleto manage, the genetics in those areas are nothing like the 300 tract, and people live nearby and hunt the woods behind their houses shootin anything that moves. This year I'm strictly bowhunting those other two tracts and shooting what's legal. It's just too much fun, and what's better than tender backstrap with a cold beer?! mmm mmm, think I'll cook a little up tonight!
Old 08-02-2008, 08:27 PM
Typical Buck

ANY deer is a "REAL TROPHY"!!!!
Let me know when they put your little 2 pointer in the trophy record books

You can shoot it... Or you can pass it... Don't really matter to me. But passing a buck is not a missed opportunity. Its a stepping stone.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:52 PM
Fork Horn

No I never said you should mount just any deer but to just classify a 150+ or what ever class deer as a trophy is IN MY OPIONION is wrong. But that is my veiw and I am not tring to push that on you. All I was saying is that any deer that you take should be considered a trophy weather it is a monster or a small doe. Just becasue you don't mount it doesn't mean it is not a trophy.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:14 PM
Spike

thanks guys, these replies actually got my confidence up haha. man i wanna get in the woods now!
Old 08-03-2008, 02:48 AM

Dont buy into all this T. V. bulls--t My first deer wasa fork horn and I still have them on the wall some 30 years later and I live that hunt over and over bringing that buck home on my dads car I feed the family that year so if it leagel to shoot a small buck and your happy with it do dont fall into that mine is bigger than yours bs
Old 08-03-2008, 07:20 AM

ORIGINAL: Bukmastr

ANY deer is a "REAL TROPHY"!!!!
Let me know when they put your little 2 pointer in the trophy record books

You can shoot it... Or you can pass it... Don't really matter to me. But passing a buck is not a missed opportunity. Its a stepping stone.
Let me know when putting your deer "on the books" gains any respect from me, it's probably not going to happen. If its legal to shoot, shoot it if you want, if you want to pass on it go ahead and pass on it. However don't think you are some how better than everyone else because you let deer walk by. That actually defeats the purpose of the DNR handing out tags, believe it or not they actually want you to kill those deer, not watch them walk around.

And in some places letting that deer walk just means someone else will shoot it anyway, depends on how much pressure is in your area and how big the deer get in the first place.

Paul

Quick Reply: passed a deer......?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.