Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Finally got my "all around" rifle!!!!!! >

Finally got my "all around" rifle!!!!!!

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Finally got my "all around" rifle!!!!!!

Old 08-01-2008, 08:46 PM
Fork Horn

Default Finally got my "all around" rifle!!!!!!

I want to say THANK YOU to all you folks to have replied to my MANY posts about rifle make/model and caliber question for the start of my hunting gun collection.
I wanted something that would be my "go to" hunting rifle. A left handed bolt action that was well built, durable, and in a caliber that would handle deer, hogs, and the rare chance at something bigger up to elk.

I got it in today.....a left handed Remington XCR in .30-06...and I love it even more than I thought I would. I haven't even shot it yet, but I already have a feeling I'm going to be VERY VERY happy with it.

My only question is, when I close the bolt kinda' fast like I was chambering in another round for a follow up shot, there is a "squeak" as the bolt handle is lowered.

Is that out of the ordinary or just because it's brand new and the bolt hasn't been worked? Any input would be welcomed.

Thanks again for all the feedback and opinions!!! I LOVE THIS WEBSITE!!!
Old 08-01-2008, 10:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Finally got my "all around" rifle!!!!!!

I don't know if the squeak is normal or not, but congrats on the purchase. I'm sure it will give you many years of enjoyment.
Glad to see another lefty out there.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:17 AM
Fork Horn

congrats on the new purchase. i don't think the squeak is normal either. is really noticeable or faint? check for scuff marks on the bolt handle and the stock to make sure the handle isn't hitting the stock when you're forcing it down when cycling it quickly.have you wiped the bolt and receiver down to get rid of the factory goop? i would do that and lube everything up. especially the rotating parts of the bolt.
i'm another lefty as well. last week i just purchased my new go to gun also (for now). a "left handed"Browning A-bolt stainless stalker chambered in .270 Winchester.
Old 08-02-2008, 09:42 AM
Typical Buck

CAM2 has the right idea. Break it down and make sure you clean everything thoroughly. That stuff from the factory gets everywhere. Lube it up with your choice of oil, put back together. If your still getting the squeak, its probably the bolt handle rubbing the stock. If there is a good gunsmith were you purchased your gun, take it back and ask them to fix the problem.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:06 PM

As for the squeak i would clean the gunwell and see if its still there.