Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Do Calls and Scents Really Work?? >

Do Calls and Scents Really Work??

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Do Calls and Scents Really Work??

Old 08-01-2008, 01:45 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Do Calls and Scents Really Work??

I treat my deer calls the same way I treat my bass fishing lures. I have a large tackle bag filled with every color, size, weight, and scented lure I care to lug around. Some days a pumpkin seed lizard will but 5 bass on the end of my line. Others that same sure won't work worth a hoot. I know that the lure will work but just not on some days when the bass just aren't in the right mind set.

The same applies to deer. They all have personalities that we have to respond to. Yeaha call or scentmay not work well on a given day, but it might the next. I have never thought that using a scent or call has ruined my hunting. I have grunted right at a buck and all he did was come closer. I have left a scent trail and have had a buck follow it straight to me stand. Other days neither one has worked.

So, yes I do think they work. They just don't work all the time in every situation. If they worked all the time what would be the fun in hunting.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've seen both calls and scents work. Like they said using the right scent or call atright time of season andright place, can be very effective. You can't just walk into the woods at a random spot and expect to call a deer up. Down here, I take a grunt call during early bow season and thats the only time. And the only time I use it is if I can see a buck but he's not in range. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Rattling horns have never worked for me, but I'd love to rattle a couple big bucks up one day, looks exciting. I use some kinda Earth scent as a main cover, I love the smell of fresh dirt! The only time I use any sexual attractant is January, and I usually just spray my boots down with Triple Heat, then spray around my stand when I get there. Not sure if that's doing too much, but I know it covers my scent well. The most important thing is scouting, timing, stand location, and a little luck.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:31 PM
Fork Horn

I have had alot of success with a doe bleat. It works very well for me when I see a deer and it is out of range and I call and about half the time they come on in. Or when they get a little spooked and bounce off still in sight but no shot I use a doe bleat then also and have very good success!

Now a grunt is a different story only had it work one time and it was luck I was gunting at another deer really loud and another one came to within 25yrs that I didn't even know was there, that deer was the biggest I had ever taken it was a 140 class 9 point buck. But to this day I very rarely use a buck grunt.

Scent never had any luck with them.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:46 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with what seems like most people here if you use the right scent or call at the right time of year time of day and at the right deer they do work. I have had more success with them than with out them.
Old 08-01-2008, 04:07 PM
Spike

I haveused calls and had great success.No luck with scents.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:37 PM
Fork Horn

I have had sucess using grunts and scent.
But, I have also frightened off a buck with a grunt because a bigger one was in the area.
I havent had any sucess rattling... But plan onapplying ita little more this year than in the past.

Old 08-03-2008, 03:02 AM

Scents will not bring them in from any great distance but the do work if a deer is going in your direction and most of the time they stop to sniff it giving you a standing shot. but dont use the wrong scent at the wrong time. use doe in heat when the rut starts and and try buck scent in october the bucks know whos who out there so that might piss him off and come in for closer for a look. Also try vanilla that works on the does really good
Old 08-03-2008, 02:05 PM
Spike

I have never had any success using scents and stopped using them several years ago . I knew for a fact they were not helping me but could not say for sure they were not hurting me .
I have had some success with calling but not as much as some hunters claim . I think the deer population , and more importantly the buck / doe ratio in the area your hunting is the difference in success when it comes to calling . Bucks that have a hot doe are not going to leave her to check out a call . The less hot does in the area,(during the rut)the more success you will have with calls .My best advice , learn to identify funnels and make that your #1 game plan.
Also the earlu muzzy season ends about a week to early for realaggresive calling . imho
Old 08-03-2008, 07:28 PM
Fork Horn

The best luck I have had with scents is when i apply it to the bottoms of my boots.
Just last season, I put some on my heels when i left my four wheeler, I stopped and put a few drops on a fresh scrape on my way to my stand.
It wasn't 2 hours, hear come a small buck with his nose to the ground. Hewalkedright to my tree.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I grunted a deer back in last year after I spooked him...

And I'm about to buy a buck roar, I've heard a lot of good about them.

Quick Reply: Do Calls and Scents Really Work??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.