Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Do Calls and Scents Really Work?? >

Do Calls and Scents Really Work??

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Do Calls and Scents Really Work??

Old 08-01-2008, 09:12 AM
Spike

Default RE: Do Calls and Scents Really Work??

I agree that they do work in the right situation. I have used grunt calls, doe and fawn bleats, rattling, snort wheeze with positive results. Granted, you wont get a response every time you use them.

I use sex scents but can't say they are the reason when I am successful. Cover scents help but you can't fool a deers nose. I compair it to us walking in a bathroom after someone has done a job and tried to cover it up withmountain freshscented spray. Sorry, I have never smelledmountain airlike that before.

I hunt by a hog farm so I will leave my clothes in the hog house the nite before so I will try to smell like what's in the air.

Good luck this season.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Can't say that I have ever killed a deer using a call. Don't bother carrying any of them anymore. Never have used scents.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

on a hunt'n show i watched last night, they said when calling (rattle'n in particular) you only see approximately 1/3 of the bucks that come to it.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

well ive called in deer and have brought them in with scent i say thaey work some times at leeast
Old 08-01-2008, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

on a hunt'n show i watched last night, they said when calling (rattle'n in particular) you only see approximately 1/3 of the bucks that come to it.
Maybe the other 2/3 of the bucks would have been seen but got scared off by the calling? I'm sure the TV show that gets paid by the game call company to plug their product won't give the viewers that side of it!

Old 08-01-2008, 11:52 AM

I cant speak much for scents but calls are very effective at times. Depending on time of season I have found that bucks will come very hard to rattles and grunts. I havent had any luck in the last two seasons with the doe ina can call but I dont know if I have used it at the right times or not.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:04 PM
Fork Horn

i refuse to go into the woods without a call. i have rarely had a time where i havn't found a call effective, if not the deciding factor in a hunt. the more you use it and the more you learn about the do's and don'ts the better you will get. if you want some tips or help with some just ask.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:10 PM

The first buck I killed on my own I called in with a rattling bag and when he hit my trail of doe pee, he came straight to me. So I know they worked at least once.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't know if they work or not but they sure sell.

I'm not convinced that camo works. Watched a video of a guy hunting coyotes dressed in a Santa suit just to prove a point.

But it sells
Old 08-01-2008, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

My fawn bleet can from Primos worked great last fall. Called in both a bobcat and coyote! Shot them both, but no deer in the 4 days I hunted in that spot.

Quick Reply: Do Calls and Scents Really Work??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.