Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Outfitters

Old 08-01-2008, 09:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Outfitters

Dunno how many tools and machinery and time yourequire to build a decent stand, but it hasn't been anywhere near 300 bucks when i did it. But its kind of a moot point since I'm not really knocking climbing stands, just pointing out that some of us remain pretty low tech.
Old 08-01-2008, 04:25 PM
Spike

I rifle and muzzleloader hunt.I don not hunt over feeders or food plots.I use calls and doe in heat lure.I wish i could see 300 yards.I do use my eyes,ears as i still-hunt through the woods .When i have snow i try to estimate the age of the track so if it is fresh i will follow it.I will hunt around oaks that are producing acorns.This might be the hard way but i would not change it.I have hunted with outfitters and found it alittle boring.But this is me.
Old 08-03-2008, 04:11 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: GrayDawg
Let's take a poll. I'd like to know how many bowhunters out there do it the "harder" way like Steve is suggesting. I'd like to know who out there bowhunts deer and doesn't use ANY of the following:

- horns orrattle bags
- grunt call
- doe bleat
- scent attractant
- food attractants
- cover scent
- camo clothing

Let's hear it.

Rob
Any of those things MAY or MAY NOT work but they gottaeat. If you can't tell the difference between using a grunt call and dumping a truck load of corn you are wasting your time hunting. Just buy a mount at the pawn shop.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:45 PM

Spudrow, My first vote fer President would be you! We started with outfitters and are now into feeders. Amazing ain,t it!?

Outfittin is a buisness. Here in my home state of Colorado, I have NEVER used one. Always have hunted on public lands, and have issues with the "Outfitters" way of gettin tags. It is NOT GOIN The way of TEXAS, up here! I,m sure alot of ya have limited access to public grounds and It,s startin to be a problem here also. If ya don,t belong to a hunt club in Texas, ya don,t hunt. Texas is second in size to Alaska! Englund, is already there. BUT!!!, IF WE STOP THIS INSANE ABOMINATION, NOW, WE ALL MAY HAVE SOMEWHERE TO HUNT IN THE FUTURE, BESIDES GOIN TO AFRICA, AND "FENCED-HUNTS", fer our Grandkids, in their lives. Too many people, with the dollar in their future, are extracting this!

I hunt 1500 square miles fer my deer and elk every year, or, I should say I have 1500 square miles open to me in units 3 and 301, I hunt by sight, smell, and in my pick-up truck! Get out and walk ridges, hollers, etc., and love every second of it. Is it "Huntin-Hard", or baiting??

Old 08-03-2008, 08:07 PM
Typical Buck

As I have stated before any type of legal hunting is fine with me. If your state allowstheuse ofbait, dogs, or whatever,then it is legal,no problem.If you like using outfitters, fine. If you don't, fine. The big problem I have is with hunters coming to blows, or arguing about whether or notit's real hunting. This is ridiculious and does nothing but cause dissention in the hunting family. At this time when our sport is needing all the help it can get we get these comments about how low down each of us are in the different ways we legally hunt in the various states which have different laws set up to actually provide opportunities for a successful hunt and to provide our kids future hunts. Sorry for the ramble.

Spudrow from Mo

PS. One more thing about all the stuff out in the market place to make a hunt better. If anyone thinks the Indians didn't use lures, bait, disguises, sounds etc,they are mistaken.. The idea is to kill game and they were excellent hunters.