Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Outfitters

Old 07-31-2008, 08:15 PM

Default RE: Outfitters

ORIGINAL: CamoCop

it seems to me, atleast on all the hunting shows, most of the lands the outfitters useare private lands (usually farms) where they have just obtained permission by the farmer. to me anyone can knock on a door and get permission, they are just trying to monopolize these area's to make money off of someone elses land.
No.... you are defiently wrong about that most all hunting showes are sponcered by those ranches, and outfitters, that is a big plug for their business to have realtree or primos send a prostaffer out there to film a hunt..... that is all a business deal, and all of those ranchers are hunting outfitters.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:37 PM
Typical Buck

Well, for me I've always hunted deer here in GA doing it the hard way!! I began to get an interest in bowhunting in Illinois a few years ago and began looking for an outfitter to try. But when I looked at prices and my desire to do it myself, I realized it wasn't going to happen.

Then a friend of mine turned me onto finding private land and help me to realize that IL was close enough to where I live to 'do-it-yourself'. 2006 was my first year hunting there.

For 2008, I have land I can hunt when ever I want for much less than a 1 week long outfitter experience. ANd I get to do it myself! It is really a great experience.

Having said all that, the 6 hour drive I make is a stretch for this type of hunting. If I ever get the money to go to some distanct places (out west or Canada, for example), I would not hesitate to use an outfitter. The outfitter is doing some of the legwork you don't have time to get done. That's OK by me.

Old 08-01-2008, 02:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have never used an outfitter but am close friends with a few. For the most part, it comes down to time. There are alot of hunters out there that just do not have the time to do all of the legwork for the opportunity to hunt. I think of all the hours that I spend scouting, setting stands, trimming up shooting lanes etc. and in hindsight I know there are many that just do not have this time. I've already put in 8 trips to an area that I hunt and at $30 gas per trip the cost of scouting is going up every year. Add on the 8 days that I was away time is also a factor.Bow season starts in a month and I know that I'll be up there a couple more times. I feel very fortunate that I have the time to put in but I know there are many that don't. Some hunters luck into that bigbuck but if you want to do it yourself and have consistant results you have to put time in.If you don't have the time then perhaps an outfitter is the way to go. In some cases though, as here in Manitoba, it is the law for non-Canadian hunters to hire the services of an outfitter.
Old 08-01-2008, 05:31 AM

In general I am a do-it-yourself type hunter. When I go on vacation, I'd rather be traveling to the backwoods with a backpack or by canoe and sleep on the ground than go to a plush hotel. But you know, every once in awhile, treating one's self to some luxury is a nice change of pace. I went on a 5 day Caribbean cruise once and while it's not something I would choose on a regular basis, it was still fun.

I've used an outfitter one time (3 day turkey hunt in the south) and combined it with a visit to relatives I hadn't seen for awhile. I had a great time. It was nice being on vacation and being able to spend time in the woods. I got to see a part of the country that I had not seen before. The people were great. The food was great. It was nice not having to worry about cooking a meal at the end of the day. It was fun to have the comraderie in the evening after a long day of hunting.

So while I prefer the do-it-yourself route, I definitely can see the appeal and to just do something a little different.
Old 08-01-2008, 06:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

...where they have just obtained permission by the farmer. to me anyone can knock on a door and get permission....
Try to do this in the big buck states of the mid west and let us know how you make out. I think you'll be in for a surprise.
Old 08-01-2008, 06:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: shamlin

it seems to me, atleast on all the hunting shows, most of the lands the outfitters useare private lands (usually farms) where they have just obtained permission by the farmer. to me anyone can knock on a door and get permission, they are just trying to monopolize these area's to make money off of someone elses land.
No.... you are defiently wrong about that most all hunting showes are sponcered by those ranches, and outfitters, that is a big plug for their business to have realtree or primos send a prostaffer out there to film a hunt..... that is all a business deal, and all of those ranchers are hunting outfitters.

i may be wrong but it seems like every hunting show you hear an "outfitter" say, "if this spot doesn't work out, i got another farm we can hunt down the road".
Old 08-01-2008, 06:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: early in

...where they have just obtained permission by the farmer. to me anyone can knock on a door and get permission....
Try to do this in the big buck states of the mid west and let us know how you make out. I think you'll be in for a surprise.
so everyone that hunts in the "big buck states" are land owners or use outfitters? just curious, i live in the south not up north.
Old 08-01-2008, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Steve, The Feeders have to be out of the woods one month before opening day. We can't hunt over bait here in MA and I don't intend to. I use the feeder to help bring the deer in until the plot takes off- which it is just about to do. I think you jumped the gun just a *tad* assuming I was hunting over a feeder. But that's OK- I don't know you, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Where it's legal to hunt over feeders, I have no problem with people who do it. However for me, that's something I simply can't do here in MA. Have a lovely hunting season, Rob

I wasn't implying that you did hunt over a feeder because there was no way for me to know for sure, but in many peoples minds hunting the "hard way" means getting out into the boonies to hunt and find deer without putting food out specifically for them. Your states rules dictate that feeders must be removed before hunting season which is fine, but nonetheless efforts were made beforehand to try to get them into the area by putting food out for them. Now I am not condemning you or anyone for hunting this particular way, we all use some sort of advantage to get our deer. I just think that the guy who hunts with only his eyes, ears, feet and any hunting skill and patience he might have without the use of food as an attractant is the one who should be considered hunting the "hard way" or at least the "harder way".

Old 08-01-2008, 06:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: early in

so everyone that hunts in the "big buck states" are land owners or use outfitters? just curious, i live in the south not up north.
All I'm saying is most, not all, of the land/farms in thesegreat mid westbig buck states is private land. You're not just going to walk up to these farms, knock on the door, and get permission to hunt. Most, not all,of these farmers are affiliated with an outfitted.
You would have to really look around hard to find one who's not.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

Not to pile on, but using feeders to attract deer to food plots falls somewhat outside of the hard way, at least the way I hunt. But to each his own.

Some folks are being a little pessimistic about most landowners in the good Midwest states being associated with outfitters. That may be the case in the golden triangle in Illinois, but in the part of the state where i am from and own land, outfitters are not nearly as common. I know lots of people who hunt on private land for free, with permission from the owner obviously. But that is gonna change over the next decade. In the meantime, if you are willing to knock on doors and put in some effort, you can still find private land.

Quick Reply: Outfitters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.