HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   For those who hunt with muzzleloaders (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/255227-those-who-hunt-muzzleloaders.html)

Bubba123 07-30-2008 01:42 PM

For those who hunt with muzzleloaders

thoughts on muzzleloaders...love em, hate em, morally opposed? thoughts and opinions please

Jack_Bauer 07-30-2008 01:52 PM

RE: For those who hunt with muzzleloaders

There ok just like the ones you can use the powder pellets instead of having to measure the loose powder, it's hard to get the exact load each time unless you weight it out and you MUST be careful when doing so.

Paul L Mohr 07-30-2008 02:09 PM

After owning an inline (remington 700ML) and a slug gun (H&R Ultra Deluxe) I prefer the muzzle loader. It's a bit of a pain to load and clean but for me gives better performance at less of a cost. For me the muzzle loader was easier to get accurate than the shotgun because with the shotgun my only real option was to just try several different loads. And this gets expensive FAST if you don't find something your gun likes real quick. Where as the muzzle loader you can pick a bullet you like, a powder you like and work up a load for it. Much like reloading for a centerfire. It is a tad more time consuming but not as expensive and usually yeilds better results. Just remember that just because you rifle will handle 150 grns of pyrodex doesn't mean you HAVE to shoot that much;).

As far as the cap and ball primitive type muzzle loaders ( I call them muskets) they are fun and will kill deer but a good slug gun or inline is more effective in my opinion.

Paul

Steven McBee 07-30-2008 02:12 PM

i love my pro hunter in 50 cal....i have shot a deer at 180 yards with it

steve25 07-30-2008 02:47 PM

RE: For those who hunt with muzzle loaders

I really enjoy muzzle loader season here in Missouri and in Arkansas where I hunt you can't use a rifle only shotgun with slugs or muzzle loader. I always pick the muzzle loader. It may be a pain to clean but it is much more accurate than my 870 and shots alot farther. I have an older Winchester Apex in-line and I get much better results with a powder load than I do with the pellets. To each his own but I shot the pellets for years and last year I tried loose powder and accuracy was so much better I will never go back to pellets with that muzzle loader anyway.

MichaelT. 07-30-2008 02:56 PM

uuuugggggg........muzzleloader go bang ... deer dead ...... me like dead deer.

MET

nksmfamjp 07-30-2008 04:25 PM

I like them a lot. I kind of wish they were more centered around black powder, caps, flint, wood stocks and nice bluing though. Seems like nobody gives measured 2F behind a lead conical a chance anymore.

adirondackhunter 07-30-2008 04:30 PM

I have shot percussion and now i shoot inline ,like them both

cjohnson3006 07-30-2008 04:38 PM

I shoot an inline and have also found its more accurate with loose powder as I can tailor my loads. I used to shoot pellets at either 100gr. or 150gr. increments, but with loose powder, I shoot 120gr. and its the most accurate my gun has ever been.

nchawkeye 07-30-2008 05:13 PM

I love them, I bought my first back in 1977, a custom flintlock in .45 caliber...I killed a few dozen deer with it through the years and won a few muzzleloading shoots that I went to back in the 80s...

I made a .54 caliber flintlock based on an early Lancaster design in 1988, still use it, have killed a few dozen more deer with it as well...

Guess I like them...