HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Its good to know they lasted last season (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/255145-its-good-know-they-lasted-last-season.html)

Hoyt_Viper 07-29-2008 09:52 PM

Its good to know they lasted last season

These guys were two button bucks last year. These guys are inseperable...until I shoot one. I think I may take the one with the crab looking main beam.

This guy I will pass on this year and see what he grows next year

Steven McBee 07-29-2008 09:57 PM

RE: Its good to know they lasted last season

are u hunting private land

Hoyt_Viper 07-30-2008 07:35 AM

yep

louddrummer69 07-30-2008 08:30 AM

Then let them grow and shoot a doe.

fastetti 07-30-2008 09:08 AM

If it's a good deer to you, take him. Some parts of the country that is a nice deer. If you think he has the chance to age a few years let him walk, but if your neighbors have the mentality "It's Brown, It's down" then i'd take him. You can't eat the antlers! Doesn't look like he's got the genetics to be a monster with those crab claws anyways.

wis_bow_huntr 07-30-2008 09:33 AM

How do you know these were the same two deer that were button bucks last year, if they were that small you had nothing to compare racks to....alot of deer stay together....

rybohunter 07-30-2008 09:50 AM

Doesn't look like he's got the genetics to be a monster with those crab claws anyways.
You can't tell ANYTHING of a bucks genetic potential by a first year rack.

Hoyt_Viper 07-30-2008 07:12 PM

ORIGINAL: wis_bow_huntr

How do you know these were the same two deer that were button bucks last year, if they were that small you had nothing to compare racks to....alot of deer stay together....
There is no way I can be 100% sure, but Im 95% sure its them. I have 140 acres on this piece and I know pretty much every yard of it. I have seen them in the same area for 2 years now, guessing last season they were yearlings. I have seen many others but these two are like magnets.

They are pretty confined by roads, pastures, and a huge creek to cross. Its my first day of a full Archery season coming up, and if I see them again, I will take one of them, probably the 3 pointer. I can be as selective all I want after the first one is down!

Hurricanespg 07-30-2008 07:21 PM

Good luck on them!

BrownBow33 07-30-2008 09:02 PM

Let them grow!!!

Although where I hunt, letting deer walk is the same as saying let the neighboor shoot it. So its a toss up