HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   what to eat while hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/254961-what-eat-while-hunting.html)

aharper33 07-28-2008 09:15 PM

what to eat while hunting

Iam new to hunting and this will be my first year going alone.
I have seen a few places thatsay to bringanything from snacks all the way to bringing a day or so worth of food with you.I guess my question is what does everyone bring with them in their pack to eat and how much is a good amount.
Iwill be hunting in Oklahoma on public landsoIshould be with in a reasonable distance from camp.

rodclop 07-28-2008 09:20 PM

RE: what to eat while hunting

where at in oklahoma r u going to be hunting. it matters how long im going to be hunting if i hunt all day couple of sandwhichs and chips but just 4 or 5 hours i don't take anything.

aharper33 07-28-2008 09:25 PM

well Im not really sure exactly where yet, still trying to find a good placebutI live in Tulsa so I would guess within a hundred miles or so from Tulsa if possible.

stabnslab_WI 07-28-2008 09:29 PM

I bring the fridge when I go. Ibring jack links beef jerky (Hot and sweet), oatmeal cookies, trail mix, roast beef sandwhichs, nutty bars orcream pies, snickers, peanut m&m's, cashews, raisians for good sugar and hard candy (any kind), oh and some chew. To drink I bring apple juice and H2O.

thndrchiken 07-28-2008 09:33 PM

Bring what you think you'll eat. I don't hunt too far from the truck but I usually have my day pack with at least 2 20oz bottle of water or gatorade, 2 or 3 energy bars, a pack of beef jerky. If it's not been a good week and haven't seen many deer I pack an mre to stay out all day.

mudhead1 07-28-2008 09:48 PM

i like to bring a bottle af apple juice or water and a couple of bags of peanuts. they seem to work the best to take the hunger edge off. cans off pop are hard to work wth so i bring bottles i can close. thats just for a few hours i can't sit all day so i don't need much

AmateurHunter44857 07-28-2008 10:10 PM

Water, a couple different types of granola bars.

sjsfire 07-29-2008 08:12 AM

ORIGINAL: AmateurHunter44857

Water, a couple different types of granola bars.

Yep, me too. I eat a bowl of hot oatmeal in the morning and the water and granola bars can take me all the way to supper. I might throw in a couple of apples too.

Champlain Islander 07-29-2008 08:30 AM

I bring a PBJ sammie (peanut butter and jelly) and a bottle of water. I like to have a granola bar for a treat too.

Rebel Hog 07-29-2008 08:42 AM

Water, PJ samich & couple bags of Trail Mix......