Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

what to eat while hunting

Old 07-30-2008, 11:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: what to eat while hunting

1 Pepsi
1 Honey Bun (which I keep stocked int he glove box during deer season)
1 Snickers Bar
Old 07-30-2008, 04:53 PM
Spike

I bring water ,sandwich,candy to last me the day.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:20 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Steven McBee

have u all tried the root beer barrel hard candy, i love it because it keeps your mouth from being dry and it tastes great

I do love those root beer barrels that you buy in the bulk candy section of a store. Hard candys can help wake a person up and moisten the pallet. I also like the cream savers hard candy's, or good old worthers originals.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I always take beanie weenies, peanut butter crackers, maybe some nutty buddys, a couple of waters, and leftover coke from Jack's that morning. Allof which stays in a cooler at the truck for after the hunt. Sometimes I'll take a pack of crackers to the stand. Don't worry about slight noises a wrapper makes,just be smart and don't open the wrapper up when a deer is in sight. A candy wrapper won't run a deer completely outta the woods, sounds like leaves crunchin anyways. I always eat a big breakfast at Jack's before a hunt, so I usually don't get hungry til after 12, and most of the time I'm back at the truck before then.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:44 PM
Spike

Just a morning hunt= Granola bar, PBJ sandwich, bottle of water. Just evening= bottle of water. All day'r=granola bars, beef jerky, PBJ sandwich, trail mix, bottle of water.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:11 AM
Typical Buck

Usually don't take anything but always have some deer stix/jerky in the truck
Old 07-31-2008, 10:22 AM
Typical Buck

i love to eat on a deer hunt it keeps me concentrated i usually get the same things just the snacks i love and bring em with me like bbq sunflower seeds, (spit it an old can) cornnuts, moon pies, nuttybars, water, coke zero, cornuts are loud so chew slowely lol
Old 07-31-2008, 08:41 PM
Fork Horn

For an all dayer I take a sandich of some kind (nuthin messy), maybe an apple, some jerky if I've made some, maybe some sausage biscuits, and definitely some real basic trail mix (I just mix some nuts, cashews or peanuts, with peanut M+Ms).

I dunno what you're hunting, but what you should consider is packaging---how much noise are you gonna make getting all this grub open---and placement---how much movement is it gonna take to get it in your gullet. I made a few real basic chow bags, they're basically cotton cloth something along the lines of linen, with a long (mabye 7-8") flap. Anything that has a noisy wrapper, I take out of that wrapper and put it in this bag. The long flap allows me to roll it up kinda like a burrito for carrying in a pocket or pack. It's real quiet in the woods.

Good luck and don't go hungry! Oh, by the way, you may think you're only goin' for a few hours, but what if you break a leg or some dumbass shoots you? You might want some extra chow while you're hanging out there.
Old 08-01-2008, 06:11 AM
Spike

Good luck and don't go hungry! Oh, by the way, you may think you're only goin' for a few hours, but what if you break a leg or some dumbass shoots you? You might want some extra chow while you're hanging out there.

i was kind of wondering that when i posted to see if everyone brought anything extra or if the just packed only whatthey needed for the amount of time they planned to be out in the woods. i know i plan to to bring some extra just to be on the safe side.

Old 08-01-2008, 06:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

unless i'm seeing deer, i always get down mid day and walk back to my truck where i keep an ice chest with sandwiches. i never take food with me. i have sat all day before because the deer were moving all day but that is rare.

Quick Reply: what to eat while hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.