HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   How to stop chiggers? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/254947-how-stop-chiggers.html)

2robinhood 07-28-2008 08:25 PM

How to stop chiggers?

I am gearing up for bow season.
I when into the woods about 30 feet and was covered with chiggers.
What can I use to repel chiggers, but that won't alarm the deer?
What is you secrets?????????????

shamlin 07-28-2008 08:58 PM

RE: How to stop chiggers?

duct tape up around your ankles and just above, It kinda sucks but it does work and it keeps the chiggers away from your legs.

0311missouri 07-28-2008 09:02 PM

i bought cabelas bug skinz pants and socks a few weeks ago and they seem to work pretty good so far

TFOX 07-28-2008 09:09 PM

This would be a good start,expensive but gets the job done.Use these along with some permanone spray or similar product and you should have no issues with them.

Mojotex 07-29-2008 06:08 PM

In 40+ years of traipsing through high grass, weeds, brier patches, ag fields, wood lots, swamps. etc. I have not found any method that works well to keep chiggers, ticks and "swamp angels" at bay other than other than Deet ... at least 25%. Yep, it stinks to high heaven and I am certain it is an alarm to deer. But I have been a pretty successful deer hunter so far despite my such "sins". I spray my feet an up to about my knees before putting on socks. Wipe a streak around my belt line. And as much as I hate doing so, wipe my face and neck with the stuff. Look, I hunt most of the time in SE Alabama. It can stay buggy practically all winter long. In the swamps just south of Montgomery, in early bow season ... there is no other choice but to "oil up", or go home weak from blood loss !!

pigiron 07-29-2008 06:45 PM

ORIGINAL: TFOX

some permanone spray

X2....It does work, along with the duct tape around your pant legs.

Permanone is a must until the frost is on the pumpkin, it actually kills them on the spot.

pigiron 07-29-2008 06:48 PM

ORIGINAL: Mojotex

In 40+ years of traipsing through high grass, weeds, brier patches, ag fields, wood lots, swamps. etc. I have not found any method that works well to keep chiggers, ticks and "swamp angels" at bay other than other than Deet ... at least 25%. Yep, it stinks to high heaven and I am certain it is an alarm to deer. But I have been a pretty successful deer hunter so far despite my such "sins". I spray my feet an up to about my knees before putting on socks. Wipe a streak around my belt line. And as much as I hate doing so, wipe my face and neck with the stuff. Look, I hunt most of the time in SE Alabama. It can stay buggy practically all winter long. In the swamps just south of Montgomery, in early bow season ... there is no other choice but to "oil up", or go home weak from blood loss !!

I feel for you brother..... no frost = no relief. At a point you just have to man up and get used to the misery.

Rebel Hog 07-29-2008 10:25 PM

Turpentine......Natural piney woods and palmettosscent. Made from pine trees and without harmful chemicals. Will work for Skeeters, Chiggers, No-Seeums and Spiders....

RIStrutStopper 07-30-2008 07:55 AM

Repel with permanone or any other permathrin based repellant. Just spray your clothes and let them dry. The stuff lasts a couple weeks, even thru washings. Works for ticks and chiggars.

whitetaildreamer 07-30-2008 11:33 AM

Though we might call them something different up north and I don't want to sound dumb but what type of insect is a chigger?