Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Altering Deer Trails

Old 07-31-2008, 12:34 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Altering Deer Trails

I love these threads.

In one thread you've got hunters cutting "shooting lanes" and think deer will just saunter right along the same trail they always do and in another you've got hunters funneling deer by meerly moving a few branches or rocks on the ground. ROTFLMAO

I'm afraid to compare the two threads too closely. If the posternics looked the same I might never stop laughing.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2907331&mpage=2&key=&#291580 7
Old 07-31-2008, 12:47 AM
Typical Buck

ding ding ding

Sorry. I couldn't help my self. I had to look until I found one who both clears his shooting lanes and funnels deer. LOL.

Do you put a sign on those or any thing so the deer know where to walk?

Some of you guys just read waaaaaay too many magazines.

All of this brush clearing and construction work could be avoided by making better choices where you are going to put your stand or the means you are going to use to set up an ambush.

I am "with" most of you guys on the altering their normal path though.

It's a heck of a lot easier to make them not go some place than it is to make them go one particular way. I've used so little as just an arrow stuck in the ground in the middle of their path to make them stop in a specific spot where it was the only shot I'd have. It's pretty important when you hunt the thick stuff and don't go out there and mow down a path to shoot through. Kind of messes things up though if they come from the opposite direction.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, I feel like I need to alter their routes. I have 2 miles of fenceline from crops to timber with numerous crossings. Sorry Jack but I don't have that many stands. So if I take some downed timber or rocks to block their crossings to hopefullyfunnel them to a better fence crossing for my advantage, then I will.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:51 PM
Typical Buck

Nothing to be sorry over. I just find it a strange way to hunt to do it enough to make it a practice.

If it works, it works.

I've done things to change their behaviour a little but nothing I'd consider "powerful" enough or successful enough to consider it funnelling them.

My own expirience has been it's not that difficult to make them go a DIFFERENT direction. It's VERY DIFFICULT to make them consistantly go a direction you want.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:34 PM
JT
Spike

I've done it with one stand that had alot of tall grass. I weed whacked a trail about 100yds long that came past my stand about 20yds away. Then sprayed weedkiller on the trail. I just made it wide enough to walk, not an atv trail. I did it about this time of year so they were on it by bow season. My experience was the does, fawns, and bears followed it well, but the bucks were more unpredictable and still roamed wherever. Even later in the year when we had snow and all the tall **** was knocked down, they still followed that trail.

My input for what it's worth, I've had better luck finding the bucks on their own trails however. Rubs, scrape lines, etc.
Old 08-01-2008, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

i'll cut a limb here and there but not an actual shooting lane. the only significant "trail" i cut is the one i walk to my stand. this way i can get to and from my stand with as little noise as possible. hunting public land you have to hike your stand in and out with you everytime you hunt or you take a risk of it getting stolen. so the least amount of limbs and brush that bang on your stand while walking to your tree the less of a chance of spooking game. this being said, i don't hack up a trail wide enough for an ATV either, just wide enough to walk silently.