Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Altering Deer Trails

Old 07-28-2008, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Altering Deer Trails

Who goes to the lengths of doing this to get deer in better position? And what lengths do you go to? I was going to try moving some downed limbs and maybe bungee strapping a fence to make it easier for them to jump over but I don't want to go overboard. I've heard about mowing or raking trails but is that necessary? I was mainly thinking of doing this to see if it works and how long it takes for them to adapt to the change. Anyone have any info?
Old 07-28-2008, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Altering Deer Trails

I had deer always walking to my right at one stand sight and so I chopped down a nice clear path probably a couple hundred yards through the woods where it was thick.. Ran it to my left, this has been a couple years ago and they are still using it.. they use both actually.. So it kind of worked..
Old 07-28-2008, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have moved downedtrees to cover certain trails and open others up, but that is about it.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:43 PM
Fork Horn

Early bow season it works great mowing a trail through thick weeds and brush I have a brush hog for my small tractor and generally start mowing a trail between food plots in late july and I get trail cam pics the next day.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

i have used tree limbs to block trails and use a machete to cut open new trails and it works great
Old 07-29-2008, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thats good to know. I guess when I get out to get my stands up I'm gonna have to do some altering.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:25 PM
Typical Buck

I moved limbs and brush funneling the deer to an open spot in the fence (I pulled the barbwire apart).......worked like a charm on the does........
Old 07-29-2008, 12:38 PM

I have ATV riding trails in my woods that the deer travel on all the time. They use them so often I just set up my stands overlooking those trails. One thing I did do though was to fell a dead pine tree across a trail that had no suitable trees for a stand. The deer stopped using that trail after only about a month of the tree being there.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:11 PM
Typical Buck

I don't remember where I heard this but I'm sureit works. Rocks are an obstruction that deer do Not walk on. You can funnel deer wherever you want with them just make sure to use enough thtat they won't just hop over the rocky area. Using rocks VS. limbs is that rocks won't rot-out over weathering. so they stay put as long as you want em.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:14 PM

The deer wiil do what's easiest.If you block one trail, make sure you are directing them where you want them to go.Where to put your blockade? 50yds.away or 100 yds. away.Think a little.It's natural.Deer are creatures of habit.Break that habit and they get a new habit.

Quick Reply: Altering Deer Trails

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.