Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What's the best way to lure in not so dominant bucks and lots of does? >

What's the best way to lure in not so dominant bucks and lots of does?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What's the best way to lure in not so dominant bucks and lots of does?

Old 07-27-2008, 10:56 AM

Default RE: What's the best way to lure in not so dominant bucks and lots of does?

Here's a thought. Deer are naturally curious, right? My idea, and I haven't tried this yet, would be to get a scented candle of a scent that the deer you're after wouldn't normally smell. Make very sure that the area around where the candle is going to be placed is clear of flammable material. Then, light the candle, putting some sort of ceramic shade over it to keep the wind from blowing it out. Wait.

I know exactly where I'm going to do this, on the property that the hunting camp I belong to is on. New York's early bow season, in the Northern Zone if you didn't get a deer by bow last year, starts September 27th. If I actually go the 115 miles one-way to the camp and do this (at 35+ mpg in my car), I'll let you know how it turns out.

It's a crazy idea, but just crazy enough to succeed. In my deer management unit in the NZ, NYS allowseither a buck or doe for bowhunters.

Yeah,I have zero idea which I'm going to lure in with this (buck or doe), but the bucks will be in pre-hiding mode, so I just may be able topull it off.
Old 07-27-2008, 04:48 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What's the best way to lure in not so dominant bucks and lots of does?

HOOSIER- What part of Indiana you from?
Old 07-28-2008, 06:24 AM

ORIGINAL: Muddyemms

Make very sure that the area around where the candle is going to be placed is clear of flammable material. Then, light the candle, putting some sort of ceramic shade over it to keep the wind from blowing it out. Wait.
I believe you wouldn't have to light the scented candle.Deer have an exceptional sense of smell.For safety sake,I don't think I would leave a burning candle out there,especially if I was in a tree stand.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:25 AM

Seems the answers have been given. I find that scouting is the key, but I know most hunters don't have the time to glass an area all summer long, or go tracking through the woods in the spring for travel routes, rubs etc. Try obtaining a TOPO and arielmap online, look for funnels, pinch points, ridge lines/benches etc. This way you can hi-tech scout at home on the computer. For me, I have a few food plots and they always have small bucks and does in them during hunting hours, for the mature guys, Ineed to be back in the woods at these locations I mentioned above or 50 or so yards back in the woods off the foodplots.

As they say, being at the right place at the right time! Some hunting videos don't always tell you that they where in the stand for a week before Mr. Big came along!

Good Luck!
Old 07-28-2008, 12:27 PM
Dominant Buck

Vanilla on some tampons, hang them on shoulder high branches.