HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Which break open muzzleloader?? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/254426-break-open-muzzleloader.html)

trkyhntr247 07-25-2008 02:15 PM

Which break open muzzleloader??

Ive decided to get a breakopen muzzleloader, It will give me more time in the woods.
The TC are to pricey for me, Im looking at the CVA Optima Elite, Traditions Pursuit Pro..
The CVA has the Bergara barrel, and ability to swap to centerfire bbls, and stainless steel bbls.
The Traditions PP has a nickel bbl and doesnt swap to centerfire.

The bbl swap isnt a huge deal to me but would be kinda nice.
Is the stainless bbl greatly better than the nickel?
Anyone have any experience with the Bergarra barrels??
Thanks in advance for sharing;)

MichaelT. 07-25-2008 02:42 PM

RE: Which break open muzzleloader??

I have the CVA Optima, and I love it. I used to have a Knight, and then I started looking and studying and shopping, and I decided the Break action was best for me...... and I wouldn't change for nothing. I like the Nickle Barrel over the Blued, for durability and corrosion resistance. I am sure that a Stainless would be great, but I don't believe it is much of an improvement over Nickle. The field cleaning of it is a breeze .... Unscrew the breech plug, and use a Bore snake. Lube the breech plug and you are ready to go. I killed 2 8pts last year with mine .... BTW It is the .45 cal. and I love the cal. too. Its shooting the same bullet found in a .50 full sabot ( they shoot .45 cal bullets) and I shoot powerbelts.

I am very happy with my set up, .... BTW I got the camo stock / Nickle barrel .... and I paid less than 200.00 ( 180.00 + tax) for it brand new on sale.

I plan on buying another just like it when I need the next one.

God Bless

MET

Test81 07-25-2008 02:49 PM

I have the CVA Optima and have been extremely pleased!!!

Looking to pickup a Pro Hunter or the new Encore elite(?) this year. I want a hand turnable 90 degree twist breach. Call me lazy :eek:

CamoCop 07-25-2008 02:55 PM

when i went to buy a new ML last year, i was set on a CVA Optima. i ended up buying the Traditions Pursuit Pro because they were out of Optima's at Bass Pro. i don't regret buying the Pursuit, it is an awsome rifle and VERY accurate. mine is the synthetic stock with the nickle barrel aswell. i can not say anything bad about the Optima because i have never handled one but i love my Pursuit.

pm69442 07-25-2008 04:49 PM

NEF/H&R durable,inexpensive,accurate

Dixon 07-25-2008 05:40 PM

If you're looking at using the "swap a barrel" functionality, then I suggest the CVA Optima Elite. I love mine.

frontier gander 07-25-2008 06:29 PM

CVA Accura.. www.cva.com

cjohnson3006 07-25-2008 07:27 PM

I have a CVA Optima Pro and its proven to be a very accurate gun. I have had it since 2003.

huntnma 07-26-2008 04:52 AM

I have an Optima Pro as well......LOVE IT !!!!!!

Chasebaker 07-26-2008 05:42 AM

CVA Wolf for me..can't beat it for $150

The stock Ram-Rod isn't very good...It gets sratched up pretty bad..but it works