HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Too Hunt or not Too hunt?! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/254380-too-hunt-not-too-hunt.html)

Test81 07-25-2008 09:16 AM

Too Hunt or not Too hunt?!

Longtime reader/First time poster!

Here is my dilemma. Have roughly 250 acres of farm, timber and swamps andI have seen some VERY big deer (160+) over the last few years in the swamps. I have chosen a spot that I think is gonna give me the best chance to take one during bow season. Going out this weeked to start with the mineral treatment in a few select spots to try and keep them close. My main worry is shooting one of these hosses and him disappearing into one of my swamps and never finding him... My stand is less than 15 yards from the edge of the swamp to the front, 35 yards to the x-way behind me, and roughly 100 yards of easy to see thru timber toboth sides. There is one main trail and 2-3 secondary trails I am setup over that run the edge of the water and freeway. I just keep dreaming I am gonna hit him hard and he is gonna turn directly into the swamp. ANYTHING I can do or any suggestions as to being able to locate after a hit??

skb2706 07-25-2008 09:21 AM

RE: Too Hunt or not Too hunt?!

High, broadsideshoulder hit will usually drop them in trheir tracks. Wastes a little more meat but effective at eliminating runoffs.

Test81 07-25-2008 09:26 AM

Im figuring 9 out of 10 times from this stand it will be a 20ish yard broadside shot. Shooting 08 Black Ice, 409grain arrows w/ Rage 2 blades. Roughly 255fps around 60lbs kinetic.

Will take pics tomorrow and post monday of stand, swamp, mineral lick, etc...

Wingbone 07-25-2008 09:41 AM

Welcome to the forum. A bow is not a rifle. Any deer you hit is going to bleed out before it dies. By my figuring, a well-hit deer (double lung, heart-lung) will bleed out in 5-10 sec. However far it runs in that time is how far you will track it. A pass-through shot with a good broadhead will provide a strong blood trail. I find swamps easier to track through than open woods. There's more vegetation to show blood. If you need tracking practice, volenteer to help your buddies track their deer.

Test81 07-25-2008 09:48 AM

Thank you Wingbone! I agree, its gonna all have to do with getting a good clean kill shot. I have a feeling since the woods I am hunting are surrounded on 2 sides by open field, 1 side by x-way and the other by swamp that he will stay in the swamps. Problem lies in that the swamp is DEEP! There is plenty of vegetation in there but if he is swimming there will be no blood trail.Total swamp is probably only around 10-15 acres on my property and the adjoining swamp on the neighbors is about the same. They are split by a two track.

I am probably gettingway ahead of myself in that I need to shoot him first, just trying to cover all my bases in advance...

bigpapa 07-25-2008 09:51 AM

Don't loose sleep over it. Just be willing to go swamping to claim your trophy. If you get a good shot on one and he goes in the swamp then give it time to expirebefore youtrack it down. Just don't rush in and bump it farther. I would say most times a deer hit will usually go down under 100 yards (usually around the 50 to 60 yard range) unless provoked (bumped by the hunter traking too soon)to go farther. Also, it may track through the path of least resistance and go back through the timber. You just never know. Best of luck.

johnnybravoo77 07-25-2008 11:04 AM

Get yourself a cheap set of waders!

2Poppa 07-25-2008 11:07 AM

I like your set-up. Years ago we had I-75 to our backs, with a field in front of us and a bedding area of thickets and pines to our left.
After lunch, I set my buddy up in a tree stand 40 yards off of the Expressway, facing the field. I thought the deer would use the woods besides the Interstate, instead of running through the field. I slowly "bumped" the thickets and sure enough a big 10 pointer came sneaking through with his head down and my buddy thumped him ...

If you get a good hit on the buck you're after, he won't get too far in the swamp, if it's as deep as you say, as he will be exerting more energy trying to escape in deep water as compared to shallow water ... Good Luck!

Wingbone 07-25-2008 11:26 AM

I'm with 2P... on this one. Any amount of swimming will bleed him out quickly. He'll stick to the easiest route if he's hit hard. I hit a buck on the edge of a swamp like that several years ago. I knew when the splashing stopped he was done. Found him draped over a stump 50 yd. from where I last saw him.

CamoCop 07-25-2008 11:47 AM

first things first, put an arrow through the deer before you worry about tracking