HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Cold weather boots?? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/254217-cold-weather-boots.html)

ZEKE83 07-24-2008 09:16 AM

Cold weather boots??

Im looking to upgrade boots from my LaCrosse Burly Classic 18in. They are only insulated on the bottom, and i am looking for something warmer. I hunt in the NorthEast where most days are 0-30 deg. F. I want to stay with a rubber boot...but I want more insulation and more traction. Thanks for the help

Wingbone 07-24-2008 10:02 AM

RE: Cold weather boots??

I've got the Cabela's 1200 gram thinsulate Duratrax rubber boots. They are way warmer than my Burleys, great traction.

skybuster20ga 07-24-2008 12:14 PM

i also hunt in the northeast and i wear the 18" lacross non insulated and love them for hunting. i have a pair of 800's for ice fishing, they might serve you pretty well

archer125 07-24-2008 01:03 PM

I use the Lacrosse Alpha lites for early season, but when the temperature drops I break out the Lacrosse Alpha Burly's with 1500 grams of insulation.
They are the warmest of the Alpha line.
The same great traits as the other Alpha's but built for cold weather.

maytom 08-14-2008 10:50 PM

Can't beat a pak boot for cold weather conditionswhile onstand.
I went with the newest ones out by LaCrosse last fall and they kept my feet wet and cold???? I always loved LaCrosse knee high rubber boots, but their pak boots suk. Went with a pair from the Sportsmans guide. WOW!!!
These boots will keep your feet as warm as toast!! Finally found what I was searching for with these boots. Best part, they cost under $50.00!!
;)

whitetaildreamer 08-14-2008 11:27 PM

Wow, I wish it was that warm during deer rifle. 1200 gram thinsolate and wool socks should keep your toes toasty. I'm looking to pick up new liners for my Sorels rated at -150. Last year we has a few days where the warmest was -30. It's real tough keeping warm when you are in a stand an hour and a half before sun up till an hour after sundown. That last half hour of hunting after the sun goes down is a real killer. It's brutal when you get the shakes.

skeeter 7MM 08-16-2008 01:16 AM

lLike wtb, cold to me is also much different then what your mentioning. In extreme cold I wear schnee pac boots which are awesomehowever not required IMO for your application. However my advise is look at what your sock wear. I personally where polyproplene sock or sock liners as my first layer. These wick the moisture away from your bare feet which helps to keep them dry, a main culprit for cold feet. The second layer for me is a wool sock of varying weights deopneding on the temperature. Wool is by far the best sock IMO to wear - insulateds even when wet.

When it comes to boots, choose a boot with enough room that when wearing your heaviest socks you can still wiggle your toes freely and provides some rome all around your feet, ankles and your lower leg/calf area. Personally I like lace up boots so I can untie/loosen them off while on stand.

If you want a rubber boot, look for a model that provides thinsulate insulation throughout the entire boot. I personally prefer a rubber lower or sole booted vs an all rubber boot as i have sweaty feet to begin with and rubber doesn't breath well causing me more cold feet issues.

petrey10 08-16-2008 07:13 AM

Muck Boots enough said

drenal 08-16-2008 11:35 AM

ORIGINAL: petrey10

Muck Boots enough said
agree 100 %
and yes i still have my alphas but my muck boots breathe 100 times better

superstrutter 08-16-2008 12:19 PM

I have two pair of Muck boots. I wear the Fieldmaster in early season and turkey hunting and the Woody Max in cooler weather. They are warm and extremely light and comfortable. If you do a lot of walking while hunting, they are hard to beat. They are great if your not walking a lot also.